The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 gallon tank with RCS and some plants in it.

last week i had 1 male die, then i get here this week and i have a dead female. I only have 1 female left and she is carrying eggs that are about to hatch. (i have 2 baby's already but she hasn't hatched the rest yet)

I have quite a bit of hair algae that they feed off of and I don't provide any other food. Should i give them other food? If so, what kind of food (one that can be purchased at walmart)

How long is their life span? they are only less than 1 year old.

My water in the tank is clean, i change it every week with bottled water. I use test strips to test the tank water and everything is fine with that.

I just don't want to lose my prego shrimp before they hatch.

·
Registered
486 Posts
YOU HAVE TO FEED THEM! RcS do not eat string algae or hair algae! Feed her Hikari Algae Wafers, Shrimp Cuisine, or Crab Cuisine. Also, a piece of cucumber left for 30 minutes in the tank in the morning and night works just as well.

Cheers,
Justin

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Regular fish food goes over well, too, but they need a mostly veggie diet.

Hikari catfish wafers are a favorite with mine.

Be sure to clean out any uneaten food. It wouldn't take long for water parameters to crash in a 3gal tank. I give shrimp several hours at least... actually, I'll drop in food at night and clean out any that's still uneaten the next morning if it's a shrimp-only tank.

Have you checked your water parameters?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.