The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a few other people from New Zealand (including SamH from here :biggrin:) are wanting to bring in RCS into the county but first we have to get permission from MAF, I was wanting to know of any diseases that they may harbor/carry that may affect our unique native fauna/water ways (we have two native species of FW crayfish and a single species of shrimp which don't do well in Tropical aquaums:().

Thanks for any help in advance

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I can't help with possible diseases, but I'd have thought the MAF would be more concerned with the question of RCS possibly breeding in native watersheds and displacing something else.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im thinking a bright red shrimp in rivers/streams where there are large eels/ native fish + other noxious pests (carp, rudd ect) they shouldnt be a problem :biggrin:

does anyone know about any diseases????

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
We didn't think itsy bitsy zebra mussels would present a problem for the huge Great Lakes. Until they started clogged the intake screens on the water supply lines. On the good side, you can see several feet down into Lake Erie now.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Our 19 native species of fish here grow between about 3in and somewhere around the 12in mark, we also have 3 species of eel the largest females can grow to 6/7feet (takes like 70years to grow), two species of crayfish which are scavengers and a species of shrimp of this most migrate to the ocean to breed and then come back so cover large areas of waterwayshttp://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=nativefish

the main reason for the disease thing is that we are very isolated from pretty much everywhere except australia (by 3 hours flight :D) and we have very little in the ways of diseases/ pests here (to do with marine/freshwater inverts more specifically)

All i can find is that they get something that is similar to white spot and that they can get some kind of fungus....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Can we please stop worrying about what MAF thinks and have some info on diseases? We need to find out if these little critters pose any threat in terms of disease to our native fauna, then we can ask MAF for permission.

To all of you who own RCS, what are some problems you have faced with your RCS getting diseases and how did you combat them?

Thanks heaps! :)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Could you define what MAF stands for please? It's probably similar to our Department of Natural Resources, which is in charge of all wildlife in a given state.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its the ministry of agriculture and fisheries looks after most of the farming, natural resources,importing things ect ect (as of my understanding) but then we have the department of concervation which looks after most of the native stuff

turns out i cant post the link yet :S

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
never really had any problems. They can get solid white and then die, but I don't quite know if thats a disease or a process in their death? But usually they fare quite well. Is there no professional literature out there where they are described. I know that shrimp diseases are a lot less well researched than fish diseases.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would try to get some scientific papers for the MAF. Just asking in a aquascaping forum about if anybody has recognized any diseases with their RCS just won't cut it and the MAF guys will laugh at you!

RCS will get any of the diseases that any other freshwater aquarium shrimp can get.
Here a is a link:
http://translate.google.com/transla...=http://www.crustakrankheiten.de/&client=tmpg

Your target should be to show proof that RCS are not affected by any other diseases than other aquarium fish that are readily imported into your country.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nick not to get to far off shrimp. A friend of mine like another son will be arriving in New Zealand somewhere around Jan of '10 to bike around your beautiful island. Disabled vet Iraq but able to bike. He is really excited and so are we for him. This is his first international bike trip he has a list of countries and yours is the first. Frankly we're quite jealous, he of course extended an invite to us to join in the trek.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would try to get some scientific papers for the MAF. Just asking in a aquascaping forum about if anybody has recognized any diseases with their RCS just won't cut it and the MAF guys will laugh at you!

Your target should be to show proof that RCS are not affected by any other diseases than other aquarium fish that are readily imported into your country.
I have been looking for info for quite a while now (I have had a look though that site before) and thought about asking on here if anyone has had any troubles/ diseases with there RCS and am currently compiling a list of any bacteria/diseases ect which these shrimp get/may get and then move on further into the process so this is only one of the beginning steps.....

-Cocobid- hope he has fun :icon_smil will he be travelling over both islands?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have been looking for info for quite a while now (I have had a look though that site before) and thought about asking on here if anyone has had any troubles/ diseases with there RCS and am currently compiling a list of any bacteria/diseases ect which these shrimp get/may get and then move on further into the process so this is only one of the beginning steps.....
Aah, well good luck then. I've tried finding some scientific papers on this but only found some about freshwater prawns and commercial breeding farms...:icon_roll Hopefully you'll figure it out. BTW, I've never had any diseased shrimp, if one of mine died then only because of molting problems or old age(I had Caridina japonica).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts