The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally finishing up a 3 gallon Spec III shrimp tank for my son's preschool - just need to add some driftwood and place the plants properly!

I put together an info sheet for the kids to ID what they find with the magnifying glass. Can you please check this info sheet for accuracy? I took pictures (except one is off the web) and I'm new at aquariums in general and shrimp in particular, and want to be sure I'm correct. Not sure best way to upload a document so took a screen shot, lemme know if you can't see it.

Also a couple of other questions I'm trying to figure out (and should probably post separately, but I'm being lazy):
Is any kind of driftwood particularly recommended for shrimp (i.e. slowest rotting)?

How to fertilize such a small tank? Just 1/4 mL of Flourish Comp weekly or can one even mix dry ferts for that small of a volume...?

THANKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Use any driftwood you like really. Depends what plants you have you can get away with very minimal to no-dosing on some. The Flourish Comp will only really be supplying micros, macros would be needed (or both not needed depending which way you go). You could mix dry ferts for that small of a volume. Wish I was taught about planted tanks during school time hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Yep, the general info sheet is correct. (besides the "exoskelaton" to "exoskeleton", and "ovary" should be "ovaries")
Don't think pre-schoolers would understand half of those words though haha :)

Regarding the wood, you can use any driftwood really. I would just stick with the skinnier woods though, not huge pieces of Mopani that may leach too many tannins for that size tank. Cholla "wood" (actually cactus), is really the only one that deteriorates sort of fast (it does seem to grow microorganisms that shrimp like to eat, faster though). The others will last years and years and years..

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! Ok, I'll make those corrections and avoid mopani and cholla. It's just Java moss, Anubias nana and subwassertang. But since there aren't fish/fish food, I thought it would need ferts. Hm. Will see.

And yeah, the info sheet text is for the teachers, who would translate as appropriate of course :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts