The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have had my first tank of shrimp for a few months now and my RCS just spawned 5 plus shrimpletts. If this is a cycled low tech tank which is in balance (I take a minimalist approach by not feeding and only adding ferts and water when necessary) and my adult RCS has been doing just fine. Should I have to worry about getting additional food for the babies?

Also I have two baby fry fish that get the same diet as the shrimp but I am worried about them possibly eating the shrimpletts as they do chase parasites on occasion.

Heres my whole tank.

Baby RCS shrimp

ID on this fish? Its kinda young so i cannot figure it out. but it has a black and yellow tail.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you have a sponge over the filter intake? And if you're afraid of the fishy eating the shrimps I'd find a tank for them.

For food The babies should be fine, they'll feed on micro organism within the tank. It seems pretty well planted so there should be plenty of food for them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a sponge over the filter intake? And if you're afraid of the fishy eating the shrimps I'd find a tank for them.

For food The babies should be fine, they'll feed on micro organism within the tank. It seems pretty well planted so there should be plenty of food for them.
I'll probably get one, but I just measured them and they are about 3 or 4mm so apparently they are not newly hatched. I'm surprised my filter has not eaten them but my filter is covered in cotton and has a whole on the bottom so maybe thats why my shrimpletts have not gotten trapped

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.