The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay! My RCS finally bred. I've had them for a little over a month (bought as mostly small juvi's). Well, I've been noticing three of the shrimp taking on a nice deep red color and fat belly. Well, a couple night ago I saw teenie, tiny shrimp walking around on the back glass and some leaves. I probably didn't see them all, but I only counted about four or five. How many do they have at once? It may be that the rest were lost in the mounds of moss, najas grass and java fern. Is there anything in particular I should be doing, besides the usual feeding?
I feed about 1 algae tablet every 2-3 days, broken into a few pieces. There's also a little algae that I'm sure they snack on. I add a little Fluorish excel for the plants (low tech, non-Co2 tank). I haven't done a water change for at least two weeks. lol.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, in your canister filter? I should check the one on that tank, although I may be ok with the pantyhose over the intake tube ;P

How many do they usually have at once?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Trust me in the beginning they are hard to find. Once you start getting more hatches all of a sudden there will be babies all over the place. They are hard to spot, but if you look real close you can see them, even when you think they aren't there. They are almost totally clear so they blend in real well.

-Ryan

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
I only have 4 cherries in my 75cm, is there a possibility of any breeding, or should I get a lot more if I want them to breed?

·
Registered
602 Posts
yup getting these guys to breed is fun and easy, congrats man! pretty soon you'll be crawling with them. BTW hows the 60p you got at aqua forest doing? I'm still bragging to people on how he gave us the online price hehe

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
It's the 75p actually, and its GREAT! Check out my journal sometime!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I share your joy ringram! My cherries had their eggs a few weeks ago in my 10 gallon, which also houses a dwarf puffer and a guppy (girlfriend's fish). When th eggs first hatched, I loved spotting the little white specs on the glass dashing about, but I thought for sure the puffer and the guppy would devour them all.

To my surprise, I happened to see a baby shrimp, about 1/4", last night. Curiously, I poked around a bit in the dense moss, grass and plants with the net. Lo and behold I found 9 more baby shrimps! I took them all (adults too) and put them in my 30 gal tank, where they have no fear of predators. I'm sure there are more baby shrimp in the 10 gal, so I plan on looking for them every now and then. But yea, it was such a nice feeling to see that some had survived.

·
HC 'Cuba' Guru
1,916 Posts
WOW, that took long, I already have a pregnant shrimp... should I cover the intake tube of my filter with something?

I have a spare 10g and 29g but with nothing to put in them... they're both empty...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.