The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I witnessed a molt problem last night and did some research. I was under the impression that the GH was the more important factor in molting for the shrimps. Currently my GH sits around 4. My KH is low at 1 since my tap water is soft in the bay area.

Do RCS need higher KH? Should I start adding baking soda?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
ok this is why I go crazy everyone knows something different (many paths to the destination and all) and there are seldom any specifics so i'm having to remake the wheel for myself this is what I have so far unfortunately you will have to research some yourself

From The Shrimp Farm QUOTE
Scientific Name: Neocaridina heteropoda
Other Scientific Names: Neocaridina denticulata sinensis
Common Name: Red Cherry Shrimp
Other Common Names: Cherry Shrimp, Cherry Red Shrimp, RCS
Origin: Taiwan
Found in the wild: No
PH Range: 6.2 - 8.0
Temperature Range: 65 - 85
Hardness Range:3 - 15 dkh
Life Span: 1 - 2 years
Gestation Period: 30 days
(This is what most information says but it's just too vague to be of ANY use fortunately the shrimp farm also says this) QUOTE
"IDEAL" pH: 7.2
Ideal Temperature: 75
Ideal Hardness: 8 dkh"
Size: Approx. 1/2"
Diet: Omnivore
This (and that tds should be around 200) is the most precise info I've found although for the record I do not know how accurate this is. I'm not a marine biologist.
For months I've fretted, panicked and cried with my RCS. I looked at tons of info on the internet and many forums. I begged Alphaprobreeders for help and he sent me saltyshrimp gh/kh which i used in my new 30 liter tank. My 30 liter tank is now ph 6.8, 4dkh and 4dgh and tds nearly 300. My RCS are not doing well at all with it, but it's perfect for crystal shrimp (which I don't have). With the saltyshrimp I mix 1 spoonful (comes with the box) of it with 2 1/2 gallons(~10 liters) distilled I get ph 7.8, gh 4dgh and kh 4dkh tds a little less than 200. I add 1/2 tsp seachem neutral and get a ph of 7.2 same gh/kh and tds of 250ish. The ph drops to 6.8 in the tank. This is what I get and I have no idea why the ph would be so high with distilled before seachem neutral but i've done multiple mixes and tested with a HM digital ph meter HM TDS meter and tetra easy strips for gh/kh. I'm working on a good combo for the red cherries in my tank. I'm thinking seachem neutral and their plant mineral mix or maybe crushed coral. I'm also stopping the root tabs for my plants for now, the tds in tank is too high and that could be part of my problem. For the record I tried adding 1 tsp baking soda to my 2 1/2 gal distilled mix and it raised ph, gh and kh through the roof, it also raised tds to the 460 range I won't try it again.
It's ALWAYS best to get a spare 5g bucket and experiment with the mix BEFORE putting it in the tank.
ONCE AGAIN do your own test FIRST before making the change to your tank if I had done this I wouldn't still be crying.
The good news is once you have found your perfect formula you are good to go. It just may take awhile to get there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.