The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered if I used had-a-snail snail killer in a tank about a year ago can I put shrimp in it now?? I do waterchanges weekly of 50% and I haven't used the stuff in months!! also its only the substrate I am using out of that tank. No driftwood or plants.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Don't use anything that you used had-a-snail with your shrimp, it is a copper sulphate type med:

http://www.petfish.net/articles/Diseases/hadasnail.php

http://www.aquariumpros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=APG&Screen=APR01000

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

I just attended a lecture on shrimp and they said not to use anything that had a copper treatment with shrimp since it'll leach and kill the shrimp. If in doubt they said to use new.

Tina

·
Registered
890 Posts
If it was a year ago then I think you will be just fine. Your plants have most likely consumed any leftover copper as well as the snails. If your snails are fine then the shrimp will be just fine. Don't worry about "leeched chemicals".

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Had-a-snail is junk. I tried using it to kill snails. It killed fish more than snails. I tried a strong dose (direct drop) on the snails above the water line. The snail would fall to the substrate and after a few hours later, it was moving as normal.

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
If it was a year ago then I think you will be just fine. Your plants have most likely consumed any leftover copper as well as the snails. If your snails are fine then the shrimp will be just fine. Don't worry about "leeched chemicals".

-Ryan
No Ryan.

If you don't need to take chances then don't. RCS may be killed may not be. Don't even attempt any fragile or more pricey shrimp with this tank.

10g tanks are cheap, just get one of those if you want to do shrimp since either way you will want a shrimp just for shrimp, believe me ;)

-Andrew

·
Registered
786 Posts
Seachem has a copper-absorbing resin pouch thingie you could use to give you some peace of mind. It's not very expensive.

·
Registered
670 Posts
the shrimp should be fine. I agree with Ryan.
Last year I overdosed my tank with CSMB and killed every last cherry shrimp. I completely drained the tank and did regular water changes for 4 months, used activated carbon in my filter also. I than added 25 shrimp, 4 months later I currently have about 300 after sales.
I would probably be more cautious about an expensive shrimp but cherries should be just fine.
my 2 cents

·
Registered
233 Posts
I agree with Wood also. I used Aquarisol (spelling?) in my 5.5 gallon to treat ich about a year ago. It also contains copper. I put about 15 cherries in the tank about 2 months ago, all of them lived and have also bred. I now have the adults and about 50 juvies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts