The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my tank about 4 months now, started adding plants about 2 months ago. I've rearranged it so many times and still not totally happy with it. All suggestions welcome, I'm hoping to upgrade to either a 20-30L or a 50. Here's what I currently have:
13G low lights

Plants:
cryptocoryne lutea
Brazilian sword
Wisteria
Anachrias
Flame moss
Hygro sunset
Java fern
Fish:
1 Pleco
1 Molly
2 Tetras
2 Zebra Danio
2 Large Danio
4 Amano shrimp

Front:

Back:

Sides:

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
1. Almost all of the plants are placed randomly, foreground, midground, and background. As a guideline, tall stem/rosette plants should be placed in the background only.

2. Front substrate line needs to be straight.

3. The two rocks should be closer together, almost like a loving couple complementing each other, and placed in the midground.

3/10

·
Registered
98 Posts
2. Front substrate line needs to be straight.
Not necessarily, you could increase it more on the right side, get a bigger piece of wood that has a few branches moving into the centre and youd create quite a nice 'level thing'. If it was me and I did this, I would then move those tall plants you have in the middle somewhere else and get some low lying plants for the middle of it, almost creating a pathway through the tank.

And I dont really want to give you a number out of 10, I feel that if you like your tank thats all that counts. if you yourself dont give it 10/10 change it until you would rate it highly yourself- thats the fun thing about this, giving it all the tweaks till you get it just how you want it to look :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand what both of you mean, and I understand the taller plants moving to the back, would if look natural/unnatural if I split all tall plants to both ends? Kinda like a mirrored look? Or should 3 plants not look the same on both ends? Example could I have wisteria, Hygro sunset and anachrias all together on both sides? Or should I only have sunset on one and wisteria at the other? Thanks

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Not necessarily, you could increase it more on the right side, get a bigger piece of wood that has a few branches moving into the centre and youd create quite a nice 'level thing'.
The reason for a straight substrate line is to frame what's inside the tank. Any deviations from straight attracts attention, like a crooked picture frame.

Joeymozzer said:
Or should 3 plants not look the same on both ends? Example could I have wisteria, Hygro sunset and anachrias all together on both sides? Or should I only have sunset on one and wisteria at the other? Thanks
The plant selection is very much like a Dutch-style arrangement. As such, keep species together.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends on what you're looking to achieve in the 20L. If you want heavy, lush plant growth then go with soil. If you want lower maintenance and less focus on plants, more on fish, then roll with gravel.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I like the plant choices for starting out and I personally love the look of river pebbles. I have / had tiny ones, mid-sized, and large ones. I have removed most all of the larger ones and so wished I'd never added the large & even mid-sized pebbles even though I love the look.

The issue you'll run in to is that as your growing skills increase you'll want to try out different plants and even low lying carpet plants but with that substrate it's virtually impossible to plant them and keep them planted & healthy. I've slow been removing pebbles and replacing with tiny pebbles (CaribSea's "Instant Aquarium - Peace River color 1.0-2mm. If you can afford to do so I would before things get too established. This way you still have that pebble looking gravel but you can actually plant any plant in it....you could always toss in a few mid-sized pebbles in a bare area with mo plants for looks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I had all small pebbles and mixed in med sized :( I really want something lush looking, maybe jungle styled. Or some kinda rainforest river. Since I'm still new to this I want to avoid c02 but i am using excel and flourish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.