The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm bringing back my 8gallon nano back to life. I want to try something I've never done before and that is to set up an Iwagumi style tank. I've tried for hours and finally came up with this Scape so please be honest and critique as much as you want. I used a guide that helped me place the stones according to size. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
@solcielo - you're a tough critic lol but I appreciate your feedback!
Do you think I should drop some of the substrate? What do you think about rock placement?
You should lower the substrate.
The rock placement isn't good. If I were to use a word to describe the arrangement, it would be "cute", like a baby iwagumi.

One issue is that the angles of the rocks are pointed in all different directions with no uniformity. The two large stones are the worst offenders and they need to be realigned. THe left one should be tilted up more.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys below is the scape guide I used. I didn't want to copy the exact scape but it helped tons to understand placement. I see a lot of controversial comments saying it's too symmetrical or its not uniformed but I thought in this hobby uniformed means unnatural?!? Anyways I only have 12" of length to play with so it's a bit difficult. I do appreciate all feedback and do consider all suggestions. Let me know what you guys think!?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
Uniform means having a uniform look. If it's in disarray, it looks terrible, especially when there are very few subjects. For example, a string quartet would look terrible if they sat all over the stage, but a string orchestra looks fine that way because they cover the entire stage. Since you only have five rocks, it must be uniform in appearance.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
IMO, I think if the two biggest rocks were angled in a way they compliment each other, as in sloping in the same direction, with the biggest one up high, and the second one following the top line of the slope, you might be able to create more of an impact. Just my .02 cents.

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
I'm not so sure it looks better.

I'd remove the smaller stones and arrange just the largest rock without any consideration to any other rock. Just itself, alone. Only when it's perfectly arranged by itself should the second largest be used to complement it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I think if the rock on the left was brought forward and the top of it was lower then the big rock it might work, but I agree you should pick one of them and "showcase it". In most Iwagumi tanks, your eye, well mine, are always drawn to the showcased rock. You should make it so the rock makes an impact.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.