The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just finished cycling/planting a 10g office tank. I've decided to go with a school of 10 Harlequin Rasbora, and possible a Betta fish.

However, I picked up my 10 Rasbora and noticed that 2 of them looked different from the other 8. I asked the LFS staff and she said that they have different coloration from batch to batch. I was just staring at them in my tank, and couldn't stop wondering if they were really the same fish.

I did a little research and found that the two different looking ones are more likely Espe's Rasbora. I am now facing a dilemma...Should I return those two and get two more Harlequin Rasbora? Or would they school together? I really don't want to stress the fish.

Also, would it be a good idea to add my Betta to this group? I'd consider the tank to be moderately planted (since the plants haven't filled in).

Any input is appreciated. Thank you very much!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
10 rasboras is pushing the limit for what a 10G can hold. So, I'd leave out the betta.

And the espei will be fine. I have 7 espei in a 75G and it's lovely to see them school together. Hint. Hint. You probably won't get to see that in a 10G.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha. I'd get in serious trouble putting a 75g in my office...

So the 2 Espe will school with the Harlequin? It wouldn't be too stressful for the minority group?

I was trying to come up with a schooling group for my 10g. I know it's small but I just couldn't resist having "lots" of fish. Haha. I was going to go with WCMMs but I couldn't find any healthy ones. I also couldn't not find any microrasboras locally...

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
the espei will 'school' with the other fish. I have only lonely rummy nose tetra that schools with the espeis.

Your fish will mostly sit in one place because they don't have room to swim. So schooling is a loose term.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for responding to me with your experience.

I realize that there is not enough room for the schooler to swim back and forth. I only want to make sure that the Espeis do not feel intimidated due to the lack of number of their own kind.

Will 2 Espei Rasboras live comfortable with 8 Harlequin Rasboras?

Would it be a better thing to do to leave the 2 Espeis in with the Harlequins, or shoulld I trade them with 2 more Harlequins?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts