The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is likely to be a marsh plant or partially submerged for some time a year in nature. There are several variety of which the markings are white, light green, pink and red. The plant has been inside the tank for two months without any issue (very slow growth).

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Will be interesting to see if that makes it. It looks like a common caladium. Or not so common, depending on variety. They do like damp soil and will tolerate quite a bit of water, but it certainly isn't a true aquatic plant. More of a bog plant perhaps? If it's a caladium lookalike that is an aquatic it would be interesting to know what it might be.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have thought so because there are relatives of the species which are much bigger and grows all over wet countryside (eg the sides of a paddy field) which thalus can be eaten. Lets see how long this one can stay under water to see if it is suited and worthy as aquarium decor.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Medicine Man, I've got them growing in my flower garden out front. They're Caladiums. One of my granddaughters has one (from the garden) in her 10 gal. It stayed underwater about 3 or 4 months growing slowly. When it hit the top of the water it took off like a rocket. Its now about 18" tall and has about 12 to 15 leaves. Its sitting in a northern facing window so it gets lots of light. (she calls it Seymour)...Jim (she also swears it eats her endlers!)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Then it is settled that this plant is not so uncommon (at least when grown terrestrially) and it is a valuable aquascape decor since it does last under water for a long time (and can even take over everything once reaching the top when grown in a shallow tank), free of maintenance (because it grows so slowly) and looks good. So I will get some more if I see one and feel like it.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then it is settled that this plant is not so uncommon (at least when grown terrestrially) and it is a valuable aquascape decor since it does last under water for a long time (and can even take over everything once reaching the top when grown in a shallow tank), free of maintenance (because it grows so slowly) and looks good. So I will get some more if I see one and feel like it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts