The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RARE! Collector Palms for Vivs and Ripariums

I have some pretty amazing plants here new. They are a number of smallish palms that I have carefully selected--this took me a lot of time--as good candidates for vivarium and/or riparium growing. Several of these I have already tested with very good results. Others are promising species selected for their small adult sizes, habitat associations and attractive foliage.

I will post a complete list, but wanted to start out with this post while I unpack these plants. If you are interested in any of them I owuld suggest inquiring soon. The less time these plants spend in transit the better results you will have.

Here are the first few selections with prices.

• Calyptocalyx pachystachys, seedling ~3" tall, THREE available - recommended as vivarium plant - $7 each
  • Pinanga sp. "Thai mottled, seedling ~4" tall, FOUR available - recommended as vivarium plant - $7 each
  • Licuala triphylla, seedling ~5" tall, THREE available - recommended as vivarium[/u] plant - $6 each

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got a quick picture to show these three selections. Clockwise from the left they are Pinanga sp. "Thai mottled", Licuala triphylla and Calyptrocalyx pachystachys.

These individuals are 3-6" tall. Notice the attractively pleated leaves of the Licuala, and the mottling of the other two. Very cool.

You will receive bare-root plants. I potted these in net pots with a loose pro-mix potting soil, which is a good way to plant them. You might also be abel to plant directly into your vivarium in a spot with some media that stays moist but drains well.

These particular plants are good choices for vivariums and don't really work as houseplants. They need it hu-u-u-u-mid all the time. I have a couple others on the way that are good riparium plants.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another additional selection that I have is cat palm (Chamaedorea catractarum). I listed in another spot for $4.50, but this lot is just $3 each because they are somewhat smaller seedlings with just a couple of leaves.

I recommend cat palm for ripariums. It is a true water-associated plant from Mexico and Central America that grows along the edges of forest streams. The Latin species name cataractarum means "near waterfall. This one does not need especially high humidity so you can grow it in an open-top riparim or as a houseplant.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They might do pretty well in an emersed setup, but you would want to have them up so that their pots don't sit right in the water. They would also do best with some air circulation--but with very humid air--as with a CPU fan. That is how I keep them. I have a 40B tank with a pretty tight lid and I mist it 2X/day and the CPU fan blows the moist air around. The plants really like it in there.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW! I just got some more new plants in and they look fantastic!

This is really amazing botanically unusual stuff. I don't know if I will be able to get any more before the weather turns bad for shipping, so get some now while I have them here. I would like to ship out all these extras in the next few days while they are still fresh.

Here's a quick list. I will be adding more detail and a few more species later on.

• Calyptocalyx pachystachys, seedlings, 2 available - $7 each
  • Calyptocalyx hollrungii, seedlings, 4 available - $4 each
  • Dypsis poivreana, 2" pot, just 1 available - $8
  • Licuala dasyantha, 2" pot, just 1 available - $12
  • Licuala paludosa, large seedlings, 4 available - $4 each

Some of these are better candidates for vivariums, while others would be better for ripariums. I'll post more details soon.

This is a great opportunity to get really unusual and beautiful plants for your setup.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I still have most of these plants available.I hope to have new pictures to post tonight.

Among the ones in this new order are the Pinanga sp. "Thai mottled", (left) and Calyptrocalyx pachystachys (lower right). I do not currently have Licuala triphylla (upper right).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.