The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Rapids Mini Canister Filter arrived yesterday.

Here is what I think of it so far:

The instructions are hard to read, but it's easy enough to figure out how to assemble it on your own. It comes with filter floss / carbon (?) and a lot of ceramic rings.

The hoses that come with it are very short and they look pretty fragile. You need to really work it to attach them to the input / output of the filter, and I was afraid I'd ruptured it in this process. That doesn't seem to be the case, however. I'm pretty sure that you could easily add your own hoses if you want.

Because the hoses are so short, and the U-shaped connectors are so small, placing the intake and output in the tank is not easy. As the photo in the link above shows, the only place it allows you to place the output is on the side, not the back of the tank. My hood does not allow for this at all, so I had connect the output directly to the hose and place it vertically in the tank, not horizontally.

After I started the filter there was a large amount of trapped air and it was making quit a bit of noise, but that subsided after a few hours.

I put it on a 20gal. cube that has had nothing but problems since a severe power outage several months ago. I'll update this thread when I find out whether or not this filter helps. It is also working in conjunction w/ a Stingray Elite rated for a 15 gallon tank.

·
Registered
941 Posts
i have the rapids canister also. got it from ebay.
didn't even bother with the instructions because its easy to figure out.
i use it on an open top 10 gallon shrimp tank. so no issue's with a hood for me. i placed the canister on the side like in the picture above so the hose was fine for my application.
nice thing about this filter is it has a little removable hatch that lets you fill the canister with water before you start it.
i've had mine for about a week but works fine so far.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.