The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 3" spotted raphael catfish yesterday, and I wasn't going to put a net anywhere near a fish with sides lined in saw teeth, so I tried to take it out of the bag with my hand. The second my fingertips touched its stomach (tried to scoop it up), it flipped itself around, wrapped itself around my hand, did its best to stab me on its spines, and screeched at me. Sounded like a miniature chainsaw or one of those old hand-cranked pencil sharpeners. I let go, of course, not having expected to be stabbed and yelled at by a fish, and then tried again. That time, it tried to crush my finger between its pectoral fin and its side. It didn't do any damage either time, it was too small, but it sure tried.
If I was a predator and I grabbed a fish that turned out to be armored and responded by screeching and trying to stab/crush me, I would drop it and probably question my sanity. And this thing is only about 3", so when it gets full size, it's gonna be a force to be reckoned with. I'm not even certain how to safely handle a full-size raphael cat- that seems like it could hurt you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yikes, how big do those things get?! I would be scared to get near it at full size :p

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You got lucky! The side scutes hurt pretty bad, and can cut, but nothing hurts worse than the spines. Burns like a bee sting.

Last time I moved mine, I used the Raphael against himself. I took out the wood he was wedged in, and as expected, he locked into it. I just suspended it above the new tank, and waited for him to drop himself in.

Here's a pic from when i did. Btw, this one is closing in on his 21st birthday.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Cats and loaches are well defended. Many Loaches have very sharp retractable spines under their eyes. Some cats have venom, but even if they do not the dirty water the spines are in is not something you want injected under the skin.

I move my cats with a tupperware container, and the Doradids can make a REALLY loud noise. Amazing!
I was lucky enough to catch one in its 'cave' and this was easy to move, too.

Many cats have spines that will catch in the net. Much better to catch and move them in whatever size container like a cup or bowl they will fit in.
I suspect the cheek spines of the Bristlenose Plecos are hooked.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I got a 3" spotted raphael catfish yesterday, and I wasn't going to put a net anywhere near a fish with sides lined in saw teeth, so I tried to take it out of the bag with my hand. The second my fingertips touched its stomach (tried to scoop it up), it flipped itself around, wrapped itself around my hand, did its best to stab me on its spines, and screeched at me. Sounded like a miniature chainsaw or one of those old hand-cranked pencil sharpeners. I let go, of course, not having expected to be stabbed and yelled at by a fish, and then tried again. That time, it tried to crush my finger between its pectoral fin and its side. It didn't do any damage either time, it was too small, but it sure tried.
If I was a predator and I grabbed a fish that turned out to be armored and responded by screeching and trying to stab/crush me, I would drop it and probably question my sanity. And this thing is only about 3", so when it gets full size, it's gonna be a force to be reckoned with. I'm not even certain how to safely handle a full-size raphael cat- that seems like it could hurt you.
Yep. Last time I needed to move mine the striped one let me gently move him.
The spotted....Fooooghhhetttaboooddditt.
Screeched, wailed, jumped, jived tried to pinch etc etc.
I also used his hideout against him in the same manner lol.
Also longgonedaddy your raph is how old????

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Holy crap hope my 2 make it that long

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
This is our largest Striped Raphael Catfish. She's 9"+ long & about 12-15 years old. Her boyfriend is only 5" long & about 5 years old. He looks like a baby when next to her.

We have a huge spotted raphael catfish too, at about 6"+, but it's never out when we have a phone or camera ready.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
This is our largest Striped Raphael Catfish. She's 9"+ long & about 12-15 years old. Her boyfriend is only 5" long & about 5 years old. He looks like a baby when next to her.

We have a huge spotted raphael catfish too, at about 6"+, but it's never out when we have a phone or camera ready.
No picture! Maybe it is my work comp. I will look when I get home.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Wow that is one fat dude.
And yes Federal Govt computers block photobucket.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.