The Planted Tank Forum banner

Are RAOK's important transactions to be encouraged, or should they be discouraged?

• Yes, RAOK's are important and should be encouraged.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done.

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • I don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 35 43.8%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There have been several comments lately and at least one thread that make me wonder if RAOK "sales" are doing more harm than good. People seem to either think they aren't really acts of kindness, not really random, or they see it as unfair competition for their sales which finance their hobby. I see both sides of that issue, and have no problem either with continuing RAOK sales or not. What do you think? Should they go the way of the buggy whip?

·
Registered
862 Posts
An RAOK by any other name...

·
Registered
889 Posts
I would like to continue seeing RAOKs because they really help members on here. I don't think they really hurt sales for other members, it is not as if people are constantly giving away free plants in large portions. I don't see why anyone would disagree with them, the RAOKs hurting your sales argument is really quite selfish (not sell fish :D) IMHO. :smile:

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
Didn't we just have a thread like this that went for pages and pages, drew no conclusions, and eventually got closed for being annoying?
Yes we did.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/41817-tired-seeing-fake-raoks.html

yes, but now we have a POLL!
Yes we do.

Gosh, how many more of these care-bear threads are we gonna make this week?
I don't know, spypet. I just don't know.

Little insight on moderating:

This is a tough one.

The topic. It was a real cramp the first time is popped up, and is bound to be a real cramp this time.

The poster. I like Hoppy. I like reading what Hoppy has to say a lot. He has the plant thing down pat. Super helpful around here. I learn a lot form Hoppy. I hate to shut a nice guy like Hoppy's topic down because I know it is posted with good intention.

I got quite a few PMs asking me to close the first incarnation of the thread. I also got a couple of complaints for closing the last incarnation of this thread.

Gut reaction is to say "Oh no! Not again!" and close the thread.

OK, YOU BE THE MODERATOR. WHAT WOULD YOU DO? :icon_wink

·
Registered
722 Posts
with all due respect to hoppy :icon_smil
This thread is now closed :hihi:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't know why or how or whatever-- but the SnS is a lot more boring than I remember it was 1-2 years ago.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Not exactly a RAOK, but I have handed a number of visitors to my planted tank a bag of plants. I figure about 50% of the plants make it but it is a way to spread the excitement in the hobby without the initial cost barrier*.
[rant]
*If you are looking for a trend that REALLY bugs me, it would have to be the non-aquatics pushed by the chain stores. Basically well meaning newbies (my neighbor) go down to the store and plunk down cash for the "best plants" and come away with non-aquatics(palm plants!), high light plants, big swords and other assorted misfits.
[/rant]
So the best of my best plants get bunched and traded at the LFS, the leftovers go to the neighbor, club, or yard waste bin. So I offer RAOKs, but you you should be prepared to get an arm wet!

And back to the thread already in progress. :icon_surp

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
Yes, RAOK's are important and should be encouraged. 26 votes = 59.09%
RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done. 4 votes = 9.09%
I don't care one way or the other. 18 votes = 40.91%
Voters: 44.

Is my calculator broke?
26+4+18=48 voters not 44?
59.09%+9.09%+40.91%=109.08% how can that be more than 100%?
It appears if you take out "RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done", the numbers add up.
Each voter had one vote right? What is going on with this poll? The numbers do not add up. I smell a conspiracy!!!!

I do not understand why folks would be opposed to one hobbyist helping another, isn't that what it is all about? I would like to meet a hobbyist that has not benefitted in any way from another hobbyist, so if you are against RAOKs would that make you a hypocrite? Another poll I guess........DC

·
Registered
888 Posts
Gosh, how many more of these care-bear threads are we gonna make this week? :icon_frow
Oh pls, Spypet. No mention of my Care Bears.:icon_frow :icon_lol: Or I'll be appearing with a horsewhip.:icon_wink

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
It apparently doesn't count the votes for "RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done.".

If you add up the # and % of votes for the other two options, it adds up to 100%.

Is it also because this is a multiple choice poll? I already voted so I can test this, but can anyone vote for more than one option at a time?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yes, RAOK's are important and should be encouraged. 26 votes = 59.09%
RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done. 4 votes = 9.09%
I don't care one way or the other. 18 votes = 40.91%
Voters: 44.

Is my calculator broke?
26+4+18=48 voters not 44?
59.09%+9.09%+40.91%=109.08% how can that be more than 100%?
It appears if you take out "RAOK's interfere with hobby financing so should not be done", the numbers add up.
Each voter had one vote right? What is going on with this poll? The numbers do not add up. I smell a conspiracy!!!!
Erm . . . not that I feel one way or another about the topic, but internet polls are statistically speaking-- ridiculous. In statistics class, we site internet polls as an example of flawed data collection method. The list of bias and data skews are really too great to even sort out.

-no Randomization
-Only data collected on those who cared to vote
-only collected data on those who visit the lounge
-high skew of those who care about the subject
-skew in regard to those not wanting to take a stance on the subject
-skew in regard to those who won't vote because they don't fit any of the given categoties
-list goes on and on and on.

I wouldn't use these results to try and support any kind of statement really. :icon_conf

I don't want to offend, but I don't want people to think they can make judgements about the opinions of the entire community based just on the data gathered in a poll.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.