The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is how the tank currently sits. It needs some help... i have 4 t5ho, pressurized co2 and am dosing ferts. substrate is top soil capped with eco complete.

I need new plants, not sure what... or where to put them. I'm also contemplating removing the slate and replacing it with some additional driftwood.

I need a little push in the right direction :proud: And would really like to accentuate the large driftwood to the left that looks like a steer skull

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm not crazy about the slate. It takes up room and doesn't do much for the scape. Green mass behind the dw would make it pop and stand out.

Perhaps a larger leafed plant like Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' or an Alternanthera reineckii variety? Maybe a Barclaya or Madacasgar lace... There are so many choices.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it will look better once it gets filled in. Looks good so far.

I like the DW on the left side of the tank and agree that it will look good once it fills out more.
How many gallons is it/what fish are in there?
55g. current inhabitants are approximately 20 white cloud mountain minnows (half of them yellow), a yellow BN pleco, a false zebra pleco, 4 black neon tetra, 4 blood fins (going in my 20 when it cycles), 3 cories (need more i know) and a lone Ninja Shrimp that i only see about once every couple months haha

I'm not crazy about the slate. It takes up room and doesn't do much for the scape. Green mass behind the dw would make it pop and stand out.

Perhaps a larger leafed plant like Hygrophila corymbosa 'Siamensis' or an Alternanthera reineckii variety? Maybe a Barclaya or Madacasgar lace... There are so many choices.
will take a look at those large leaf plants, i really do like the look of them. The slate was originally put in as "caves" for the pleco and he quite likes them. maybe i can get some moss to grow over them to hide it.

I agree with replacing the slate. Put another piece of driftwood or a large plant in that area and I think the tank will look much more full.
i'd love to find a bunch of rib shaped drift wood to put there, get some cover from it and still kind of mesh with the steer shaped DW that is there now.

thanks for the recommendations, i think i have some plants to look into now!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice set up... I may consider downgrade the size of the slate or create an asymetric pile of slate pieces; its color matches the driftwood nicely... maybe some plants that attach or grow into it will work -I think of Hydrocotyle sp or a moss of your preference.

You do need more plants in there but so far you have a nice hard scape there; just a matter of filling the spaces.

Good luck with Bettatail's nice ROAK!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice set up... I may consider downgrade the size of the slate or create an asymetric pile of slate pieces; its color matches the driftwood nicely... maybe some plants that attach or grow into it will work -I think of Hydrocotyle sp or a moss of your preference.

You do need more plants in there but so far you have a nice hard scape there; just a matter of filling the spaces.

Good luck with Bettatail's nice ROAK!

Pepetj
Santo Domingo
Hydrocotyle would look great around the sides of the slate. I've got a decent amount of dwarf hairgrass on it's way that was destined for the 20l (that is in dire need of co2 haha) but i'm thinking once that comes in some stuff will get moved from in front of the slate (was only there to grow a bit) and try to hide the front of the slate w/ the dwarf hairgrass.

Good luck scapegoat!
thanks, you too!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
Using soils/NPT in general with new setups even more so large hardscape items that block the gas exchange in and out of the substrate is something I avoid. As others have already posted opinions on the slate I'm adding to that, it really doesn't do much for you. I'd replace it with green.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Using soils/NPT in general with new setups even more so large hardscape items that block the gas exchange in and out of the substrate is something I avoid. As others have already posted opinions on the slate I'm adding to that, it really doesn't do much for you. I'd replace it with green.
this is a very good point. however i am concerned about displacing my pleco. I assume he'd move over to the drift wood though... it certainly is a nice piece of real estate that would look better green.

I also have star grass in my 20l that isnt doing so well right now... no co2, too much lighting. So i'm thinking i'll move that over to the 55g here. place that in front of the Hygrophila sp 'Tiger' and then the hairgrass in front of that?

On an off note, i have mosquito larva in the 20l and nothing to eat it... would extra dosing of excel help to kill those and the algae i have growing?

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
I don't think Excel would effect the larva but I never tried it.
hehe catch a few in a cup of tank water and see how they like H2O2.
At 10ml/g I know it kills bacteria and algae or get a single guppy from the LFS.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you have an up to date plant list in this tank (forgive me if I am overlooking it.) I really like some of the plants in there, especially the left foreground.
I will be doing some rescaping tonight based on suggestions (good bye slate, hello dying stargrass!)

Once i get that up i'll grab some more pics, close ups and a full plant list. the plant on the left, as i was told by Crispino Ramos, Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'. But i'm not seeing any of the red that I'm seeing on google images.

I very much like the plant, and it grows so well in this tank. I will be hacking into it this evening though and replanting the stems in my 20g... so sadly the next time you see the full tank shot they're going to look pretty sad! but it will grow in real nice a bunched.

the full list from Crispino was:

Rotala macranda sp 'Japan Red'
Rotala sp 'Gia Lai'
Limnophila sp 'Wavy'
Hygrophila sp 'Tiger'
Nessaea triflora
Proserpinaca palustris 'Cuba'
Myriophyllum heterophyllum X laxum
Limnophila sp 'Broad'
Limnophila aromatica
Limnophila sp 'Vietnam Mini'
Pogostemon sp 'Blume'
Staurogyne sp 'Porto Velho'
Limnophila repens 'Mini'
Hygrophila sp 'Bold'

I know i've lost some things... like the rotala macranda. the nessaea triflora is on it's way out... i'm not really a fan of it, but it's my last stem and i do feel kind of bad tossing it lol. But i'm really not fond of it...

·
I ♥ BBA!
12,768 Posts
Toss that plant! That is my one word of advice. Don't let a plant into your house you don't like. I spent $$$ on some plants and ended up parting ways. At first it hurts, but after that, it's like a band-aid. Just rip that sucker out of there and toss it out before you have second thoughts. ;)

Thanks for the list. You have seriously nice plants in there. I heard Crispo doesn't disappoint. And now I must sulk away in envy.

Oh, and Rotala macranda is overrated. It's just not that great of a plant unless you baby it and I don't have time for whiny plants, lol.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Toss that plant! That is my one word of advice. Don't let a plant into your house you don't like. I spent $$$ on some plants and ended up parting ways. At first it hurts, but after that, it's like a band-aid. Just rip that sucker out of there and toss it out before you have second thoughts. ;)

Thanks for the list. You have seriously nice plants in there. I heard Crispo doesn't disappoint. And now I must sulk away in envy.

Oh, and Rotala macranda is overrated. It's just not that great of a plant unless you baby it and I don't have time for whiny plants, lol.
it will be leaving this evening for sure. it grew really well in the left corner in the back, which now has the Hygrophila sp 'Bold. which i'm hoping at some points grows out like the tiger.

my aromatica was growing really damn well, but didnt take too kindly to the green algae/lights out/no ferts phase. I'm wanting it to grow back in force! it's a lovely plant

i hated the Limnophila sp 'Wavy' when i go it... but now i'm really enjoying it! shame i have a single stalk left, thankfully it's got two shoots that are coming off tonight!

I'm not uber fond of the Rotala sp 'Gia Lai' either, but i grows well and i'm going to try to find a better spot for it... or maybe train it to crawl?

anyway, more pics tonight after our friends leave and i can start tearing into the tank!

and crispno's package was amazing. 100+ stems for around $45 shipped.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
before you look at the pics... ignore my dirty glass! I'm also not finished as i need to spend some time with my baby momma ;)

the rocks that are still there, must stay as they are too deep into the substrate and the soil is not MTS, it's just top soil. The plan for the right side is to eventually have that flame moss cover the area. In front, the side and behind to the right will probably get clippings from the plant to the left.

I also need to add more hairgrass to the area that has it.

I really can't wait for this to fill in now! I need to get up in the morning and finish up the new reactor and cross my fingers that it works haha.

I also managed to find 2 of the 3 ninja shrimp! which was hugely exciting.

my photography sucks tonight as i was under a time crunch :/

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.