The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Salvinia cucullata I got for my tank has exploded and is overgrowing my RRF, so I have a decent amount available if anyone is interested.

I have found snails in my tank that seem to have come in on some plants, and the Salvinia also have small numbers of grey bugs (aphids I believe) but they don't seem to damage the Salvinia and can be knocked/plucked off with tweezers and dropped into the tank for fish food -- just so you know.

**Update** It looks like I will have some more for this next Saturday (1/12) if anyone is interested. I'll be heading out to LI in the morning, hitting a few LFS and Franks, and then Brooklyn on the way back.

I also have some pieces of giant Salvinia (S. oblongifolia) as well as some frogbit that arrived as a stowaway with my other floaters.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave out what I had. I still have some more set aside in the event that my RRF continues to not do well - but if I can get it to turn around, I should have another 4 bags or so for RAOK/trade.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like I will have some more for next weekend if anyone is interested. I'll be heading out to LI in the morning, hitting a few LFS and Franks, and then Brooklyn on the way back.

I also have some pieces of giant Salvinia (S. oblongifolia) as well as some frogbit that arrives as a stowaway with my other floaters.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get one of how it is growing in my tank tonight - but here is a pic of the stock from the gentleman that I originally got it from on Aquabid. My leaves tend to stay shorter on new growth being so close to the FugeRay, though.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem. Growth of this species easy to control due to the linear growth nature, so I will definitely be keeping this one around the top of my driftwood and should have cuttings. The other type (Salvinia calcullata), which is also very nice, I might let go due to how fast it grows; I think it is choking out the RRF.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The S.calcullata looks amazing, I can vouch for him already. And this was the exact species of floaters I had been looking for....calcullata is not nearly as common as the other salvinia species. Thanks again, Roz.

I'm curious now how fast this floater will take over....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cucullata grows pretty fast. I went from about 10 pieces of the size that I gave you to near complete coverage of a 10g tank in about 3 weeks. But since it stays in clumps, it is easy to remove.

Here is a picture of the giant salvinia in my tank right now:

Oz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.