The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow TPTers!
I am in the process of making a 4dKH solution using baking soda and it seems I will have copious amounts of it!
So for the cost of shipping I will send you some!
I'm not sure the cost of shipping but I would be happy to send you some!

I am using an accurate scale for measurements of the baking soda.
Just wanted to see if there would be some interest in this as I could never use that much of it anyways.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I mixed 3000mL of distilled water to 3.6grams of fresh pure baking soda, not oven baked.
Combined 450mL of distilled water to 50mL of the 40dKh solution.
Drop checker turns green at 4 drops and yellow at 5.
Checked with a TDS meter read 73ppm.

Heres a pic of the solution with pH reagent:

I'm currently not sure how to ship these things... Would it be safe to ship them in plastic drinking water bottles? After cleaning thoroughly of course...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Have you tested it with a 20 ml sample, or a 100 ml sample... For a larger sample, you would need to adjust your blend to get closer to true 4dkh...

Great deal here, I can't beat it at the moment but will try... lol

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I have not tested it on a larger scale. I merely did the best I could using precise measurements. I'm not sure if I did it right? I'm not trying to make anything off of this, just sharing some with fellow tpt'ers before I toss the thing down the drain, keeping a bit for myself.

After I make the solution, I just use the pH reagent to add to the glass co2 reader?

·
Banned
3,011 Posts
Have you tested it with a 20 ml sample, or a 100 ml sample... For a larger sample, you would need to adjust your blend to get closer to true 4dkh...

Great deal here, I can't beat it at the moment but will try... lol

Testing a 20 ml sample is nice to a certain extent, but it certainly isnt necessary. Testing a 100ml sample is just a waste of time. Its just a rough estimate of co2 concentration anyways. For the most part getting close on this stuff is good enough.

BTW nice RAOK.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Testing a 20 ml sample is nice to a certain extent, but it certainly isnt necessary. Testing a 100ml sample is just a waste of time. Its just a rough estimate of co2 concentration anyways. For the most part getting close on this stuff is good enough.

BTW nice RAOK.
Thanks nilocg! Just trying to help out the fellow members!
If you want some send me a PM and once I'm sure it's usable.
The biggest problem I have is figuring out what to ship the solution in. Any ideas?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've shipped vinegar eels before which are liquid. I put a a paper towel in a ziplock bag, but I doubt that'd be good for shipping this. You may just put some in a ziplock (maybe the one that has the two colors to make 100% sure its sealed really good). I'd probably triple bag it just to be sure the USPS doesn't screw it up, and either a tiny box of a large envelope. shouldn't have problem sending it first class mail, postage should be right around $2 give or take a quarter or so depending on quantity of liquid. shipping a bottle is going to make it bigger and likely cost more.

---BTW count me in on the RAOK for sure

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks chris. I see that as the shipping option now.
For the purpose it will be serving, you really dont need that much.
Today to recheck my base 40dKH solution, I added 90mL to 10mL and reachieved the 4dKH from API test kit and confirmed by my TDS stick which read right around the 4dKH.

It may not be a EXACT 4 degrees but its close enough for me.
Quick question: I have added 1 mL of this water to the Red Sea indicator solution (2 drops) The instructions say tank water but I am assuming this 4dKH solution is better?

For those who want, I will do this just one time coming up shipping out on a day I choose this week, when I have time to measure out and recheck the 4dKH before I send it out. I will ship approx 50mL, which should be plenty for once and some left over.

For shipping: what I will do is double zip lock bag the liquid in the bags and pack it into a bubble liner envelope. Hopefully nothing will penetrate it but I will stuff some newspaper or something. Unless people have better ideas. This is an RAOK and I am not willing to go out and buy little bottles made of plastic for shipping them out.

Cost will be the cost of the postage + cost of little bubble liner bags I will pickup somewhere. Should be low but I will advise upon finding out more.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You got it right. 4dKH is better than tank water because it is stable and has no other buffering agents to affect pH. Again, it's all just a good way to estimate and quickly glance check (i.e. its dark blue during the day, something must be wrong). And get to a color you know is good and stable (remember stability is more important than actual level for most things -- I keep my discus at 6.0 but it's stable).

Oh tell the PO when you ship its fragile and needs to go "first class parcel" not envelope (it skips the machines and wont get crushed as much).

·
Plant Clown
4,735 Posts
I don't recommend envelopes for bags of liquid. You can buy those bottles (they're actually really cheap - check USPlastics.com

For example: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23905&catid=897&clickid=searchresults

Or you can stick with the ziploc bags and go with boxes from Evilbay. You can get small boxes, something like 4x4x4, for around the same price per box as if you bought the bottles, assuming you buy 25 or 50 boxes. Small boxes, by the way, cost the same to ship as bubble mailers, depending on weight.

Orrrr ...your best bet is probably to just ship them in priority mail flat rate boxes. 6 bucks each, and no extra up-front cost to you.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sounds like you got it right, and this is a great deal.

I ship in small 2oz, 4oz, and 10oz bottles. They are in the arts and crafts section in walmart for 2.50 for 5 bottles (in 2oz)

Free bump on a great deal...

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Master Se7en, you are very gracious for the free bump though I may be interfering with your livelihood. Fear not as I will only do this once and once only.
I want to help out fellow TPT'ers but not at the expense of someone such as yourself.

So it is now decided that I will ship out 50-100mL of this 4dKH solution, which had me worried as it was not turning green. But low and behold today I have adjusted my CO2 levels to get the GREEN!~

I will ship to people that want some and post it on here or PM me by tomorrow night, upon which I will no longer be sending out these things. read that again as tomorrow night midnight is the cutoff.

Thank you EVERYONE who chimed in about various shipping methods and I have opted to go with the easiest and probably the most secure method of transporting liquid, the Flat Rate Priority box from USPS. I already have the boxes ordered and should arrive very soon, and when it does, I will ship to those who want.

Shipping will be a double or triple zip loc bag in a flat rate box with newspaper stuffed so it doesnt bounce around. Shipping rates as far as I can tell are at MOST $6.00 so the going rate will be 6.00.

I know there may be cheaper shipping methods but for me to go out and buy bottles or little bubble packs incurs fuel, time, expenses I do not wish upon myself or others.

AGAIN PM ME AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY PAYPAL EMAIL so you can GIFT ME THE PAYMENT OF a WHOPPING 6.00.

Just to let you know, the actual cost of the materials I acquired for this cost me less than $5.00. BUT (there is always a but) if you take into account other necessary stuff needed, like a scale, and other measuring equipment, API KH Test Kit, TDS Meter, etc
It would actually be easier to just procure some at the cost of shipping.

I know this post is rather WORDY but I wanted to have a clear level of transparency for this RAOK and note that if I did not have any of this stuff or the patience or the time for it, I would order it from Master Se7en. No doubt about that.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to update:
I am currently waiting on the shipping boxes to come in. I will ship them the next day.
Also I will PM everyone back at that point in time with Paypal address.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Boxes Came in today. Not the size I ordered so I will go to the post office and pick up some small boxes... :( I wont pay 10 bucks for shipping out medium sized priority mail boxes.

I will be making the solution tomorrow and shipping out on Saturday maybe tomorrow for those who paypal me. I will PM to those who PMed me within the allotted time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.