The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I made a really ignorant and stupid error and did not identify the plant correctly. See below for details. If you want rotala, you are in the right place. I do not think I have any water wisteria though it could be hiding in the jungle.

Hey y'all,

I'm moving out within a month and am headed cross-country shortly thereafter. I have a tank that I, unfortunately, ended up neglecting due to a variety of factors, the pandemic not least among them. It doesn't have any livestock save for a few small snails I never sought out, so all that really means is that the plants are overgrown and some aren't in excellent condition. I need to get rid of those plants, and I'd rather pass them along to another hobbyist than dispose of them.

I think the best way to RAOK them is by separating this into several threads. All but the sußwassertang will have multiple winners, how many tbd based on how much I can fit in each box.

There will likely be snails. You are responsible for de-snailing if that's what you want to do. I do not believe there are any algae but I cannot guarantee there's none.

Numbered lists always get messed up in my experience so comment whatever you like and I'll number the comments and use a random number generator to pick the winners.

Only comment once per giveaway that you care to enter. I will not count repeat comments. You pay $8 for a small flat rate box. If you manage to win multiple giveaways, I will send the plants in either multiple small flat-rate boxes or in a medium flat-rate box. Same cost, $15. USA ONLY

Other conditions:

All listed giveaways end at midnight PST (3 AM EST), July 22. Responses left after then will not be counted. I will extend to date tbd if I don't have at least 5 responses (I think that's got to be the max number of packages I could possibly split up for any one giveaway).

As I mentioned, I will number the responses in the order they're received and use a random number generator to pick winners. Again, I will not count repeat commenters. Please only comment once per giveaway.

I will remind you of what you've won and of the shipping cost, collect your address, and give you my PayPal link via PM. If you don't respond and pay within three days, I will choose another winner. I will send you a tracking number once I ship assuming I am given one when I go to the post office (I can't print a label at home). USA ONLY.

I expect you know the laws for your state, and I will look to ensure I don't ship plants anywhere doing so is prohibited. I will do my best to take weather conditions into account and ship at a time that will not put the plants at risk. I cannot replace plants damaged or lost by USPS, stolen, or plants that arrive DOA due to shipping delays and/or weather conditions (again, I will look at forecasts, but that's the most I can do).

If the package arrives on time (ie within 3 days after shipped) and everything is melted and unsalvageable provable by a picture you send me within 4 hours after the package is dropped off (should be confirmable via tracking), I'll refund the shipping cost.

Once more: You can enter each giveaway once. See all below.

Cryptocoryne wendtii var. "red"
Anubias barteri var. "nana"
Water wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) (you're here)
Süßwassertang (Lomariopsis sp.) (one winner)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm in. Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This giveaway did not get 5 responses. I want to try and avoid extending any of the giveaways, but I'll do so if I portion plants out, contact winners, and don't hear back. Anyone reading this thinking, "Drat! I missed this giveaway of a lifetime!" (ha) can comment in case that happens, but there's no guarantee I'll get to you. See below for the rest...

Giveaway closed; I'm portioning plants out and will contact the winners within the next day. I'll post an explanation if I can't do that for whatever reason. However, I will have to re-pick any winners who don't get back to me within three days from when I message them, as stated. I'll make sure plants are in the condition I intended before sending them out. I'll tell winners when I ship and supply them with a tracking number if I get one. I will also check to make sure any unclaimed plants are still in good condition before selecting new winners. To make sure nobody has to sit around wondering whether they won or could still win, I will post again to say when all the plants are claimed. Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Friends, I come to you with some regrettable news. I am a fool, and very stupid. No, kidding. ...No I'm not. I do not have I think any water wisteria. I have a heck of a lot of Rotala rotundifolia (It's not that, either) and somehow got very turned around in my pre-moving panic, confused because water wisteria has taken over previous tanks, and too foolish to 1. post a picture (see below for pictures of...rotala stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia (after looking it up, I don't think it's dubia.) Thanks to Smellydeli for the correction.) or 2. really take a serious look at the plant for even like a minute and realize that I know it's definitely not water wisteria. My chronic illness delayed my start on getting the work done, so I'm not sorry about that part, but I am very embarrassed and apologetic about the rest.

SO. I have enough to send some to everyone who commented before the giveaway ended. However, it is not water wisteria. It is not water wisteria. It is absolutely (not) rotala. I mean, it could be something else, I guess, but I'm no botanist and per what I know and the fact that nobody ever sent me any rare plants, it is absolutely (not) rotala. Because I am a fool.

I am going to focus on the other plants in case of duplicate winners but I am going to message all of you in case you don't see this to see if you still want it.

Wow. Just wow. I'm so sorry. There's a lot going on and I'm a mess, but that's not a good excuse for me not doing the bare minimum and realizing the difference between two common stem plants I have, in fact, grown many times and know (not that) well. You can tell from this just how much attention the tank's gotten over the past few years. Whoops. 20210722_193855.jpg 20210722_193932.jpg

·
Registered
50 Posts
Err... you might want to check again. Rotala often have two leaves per node or whorled depending on species. What you have looks like Heteranthera (dubia and zosterifolia flowers are different colors).

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Err... you might want to check again. Rotala often have two leaves per node or whorled depending on species. What you have looks like Heteranthera (dubia and zosterifolia flowers are different colors).
Thank you for the correction. I'll edit the post and give you credit. I see that's the scientific name for stargrass. Looking it up, it does seem to be that. I didn't remember that plant though it sounds familiar...I haven't been active in the hobby for a long time. I was given or sold (I forget) these plants I think about four years ago and I have a horrible memory due to my disability, so it's possible that I knew that at the time.

Tbf, I did note in the post that it could be something else as I'm definitely (clearly) not an expert, but yeah. Thanks again! :~)

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I feel like that last bit might sound snarky but I def didn't mean it that way! I am also not used to this new forum style and accidentally made a second post that I can't delete, so. Here I am lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts