The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So it has been in the back of my mind since I moved in, although I wasn't actually convinced it would happen. We had a rather large get together last night (read: rager). I had my door shut and closed off, and all was well untill the cops showed up. I wasn't inside at this point but basically about 20-25 college girls and guys crammed into my room to "hide?" I guess? anyways I finally get back in clear everyone out and hit the sack. I wake up to 10 neons gasping at t e surface and "goop" covering the top. I came to the immediate conclusion that someone had poured either a beer or hooch (vodka and sugary crap) into the open top of my tank. Basically there is what appears to be a white bacterial sludge all over the tank and the water is cloudy. I scooped as much a I could out manually, then I just finished a large ~50-70% WC. fish are swimming around fine now, and not gasping. but how do I get rid of all this white bacterial funk everywhere? God I am so upset. Some days I have no desire to be a part of the human race.

-Thanks...

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
LOL! Glad the fish are ok.

I'd do another water change, just to get rid of some more of the unknown substance; as we don't know how much is in there. Then add 1 tbsp. 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10G of tankwater with the filters off (but aerator on if you have one). Stir around a bit and let sit for 10 minutes before turning filters back on. This'll kill off a bit of the bacterial bloom and add some oxygen in the process.

Keep an eye on the fish. Repeat water change and peroxide tomorrow if the fish show any stress or the cloudiness increases.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It could be worse, I had my college roommate get wasted and puke in my 10g and he didn't even remember doing it lol! All the WCMs and tetras I had in there died. That was the last day that tank existed.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
It happened to me once. 50 people given 'er all night and it was my roommate who did it. He didn't think it was so funny in the morning.

I lost about half my fish, and I had a green water/bacteria bloom the next day for a week or so. Do lots of water changes and you should get through it okay. It is a heart breaker though... I don't know why people have to do that kind of stuff.

It is somewhat comparable to a DIY co2 mixture getting into the tank.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
There's no way around it. There's always going to be that one psycho joker who thinks it's going to be funny to pour beer in the tank. Assume it will happen. Beside not having people over (not fun), you can always issue out threats.

Keep doing water changes to clear up the mess.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Had the same sort of thing happen to me in college...someone thought it would be good for the fish if they dumped in 1/2 gallon of protein powder during a party. Needless to say, I had a week of water changes to look forward to.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have an awesome sticker posted on one of my tanks that says "tampering with my fish tank will result in an ass whooping you'll never forget."
you selling these, haha?

Yea I was going to pick up some hydrogen peroxide because I have heard it is good for getting rid of bacterial blooms like this. What is the recommended dosage per gallon?? I will continue water changes, I expect to do a big one tomorrow, probably close to 100%. I'm so upset though, everything was looking so good after the move. HC is (was) finally starting to carpet and my rotala indica is (was) turning bright red. Thanks for the suggestions/support. If this happens again, there will be trouble (ass whoopin').

**Edit: No, I'm not running DIY. I'm injecting pressurized co2 and have (quite) high lighting. I am going to keep everything turned down low for the time being as I am worried about algae going to town on what ever the hell is in my tank.

-Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't understand what would make someone want to be cruel to a living creature or want to destroy someone's beautiful plants... sick people!!! There would definitely be an ass whoopin if it were my tank. :angryfire

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.