The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there nice to meet you all! I'm new here and I would like to ask you guys something. I have 100litr aquarium with some plants and I have 10 albino corydoras, 7 female bettas (not sisters, still doing great almost a year now) 3 apple snails and some rahmson snails. And I was talking with a friend who once was in the hobby too, and he told me that a could put some more fish in the tank. Some cardinals maybe or a school fish in general. I have the external filter dophin astro 2208. What do you think is that okay to do? If so, what fish you would add? Sorry for my English I'm from Greece and I'm not that familiar with the language. Thank you.

·
Banned
628 Posts
Roughly speaking, to estimate the stocking capacity for a tropical aquarium you take the surface area of your tank and divide by twelve square inches to calculate how many inches of fish you can have. My tank's surface area is 288 square inches. 288 square inches divided by 12 square inches is 24 inches. I can reasonably stock 24 inches in length of fish in my tank. I have 12 inches of fish so I'm half stocked.

This is only for estimating your stock capacity. The real formula is way more complicated. It has to do with the mass of the fish in the tank, the surface area the beneficial bacteria have to colonize, the rate of flow through the filter and other variables. I saw the equations in a book about aquaculture. It really is fascinating.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Roughly speaking, to estimate the stocking capacity for a tropical aquarium you take the surface area of your tank and divide by twelve square inches to calculate how many inches of fish you can have. My tank's surface area is 288 square inches. 288 square inches divided by 12 square inches is 24 inches. I can reasonably stock 24 inches in length of fish in my tank. I have 12 inches of fish so I'm half stocked.

This is only for estimating your stock capacity. The real formula is way more complicated. It has to do with the mass of the fish in the tank, the surface area the beneficial bacteria have to colonize, the rate of flow through the filter and other variables. I saw the equations in a book about aquaculture. It really is fascinating.
Oh, is THAT where the inch/gallon rule came from??

Personally, I'd like to see the tank first before casting judgement on if you can keep more fish or not. You're keeping small sized fish, which is good for keeping a lot of them, but without knowing the scape, I can't say if one or the other option is good...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Personally, I'd like to see the tank first before casting judgement on if you can keep more fish or not. You're keeping small sized fish, which is good for keeping a lot of them, but without knowing the scape, I can't say if one or the other option is good...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Wow you are lucky your betta get along!! That's amazing. I had to keep mine in heavily planted tanks, I mean no room in the tank for anymore plants at all along with pretty much half the tank covered in floaters to keep sororities of 3-5 without issues. Interested in seeing updates on this, plus I'm a sucker for betta sororities lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow you are lucky your betta get along!! That's amazing. I had to keep mine in heavily planted tanks, I mean no room in the tank for anymore plants at all along with pretty much half the tank covered in floaters to keep sororities of 3-5 without issues. Interested in seeing updates on this, plus I'm a sucker for betta sororities lol.
Haha thank you so much I just add them all together and they just found their space in the tank and they are all good my plan is to just let my Valisneries to get all over the place

·
Banned
628 Posts

Yes, definitely recall the one inch per gallon rule when applying the surface area estimate. I mean what if your tank is jam packed full of hardscape or terraced to the rim in the back? Or what if your tank is only an inch deep? You would have a lot of surface area but hardly any water. Good point @ichthyogeek. Three reaction score points for that one.

For cold water fish you divide surface area by 18 square inches because I guess there's less oxygen in the water. So if you have a chilled 55 F goldfish tank you would ideally need more water. Lastly, for reasons unknown to me, you divide surface area by 24 square inches to estimate the carrying capacity of a salt water tank.

Happy hobbying everybody.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Hello there nice to meet you all! I'm new here and I would like to ask you guys something. I have 100litr aquarium with some plants and I have 10 albino corydoras, 7 female bettas (not sisters, still doing great almost a year now) 3 apple snails and some rahmson snails. And I was talking with a friend who once was in the hobby too, and he told me that a could put some more fish in the tank. Some cardinals maybe or a school fish in general. I have the external filter dophin astro 2208. What do you think is that okay to do? If so, what fish you would add? Sorry for my English I'm from Greece and I'm not that familiar with the language. Thank you.
Have you done any water tests lately? ONE of the factors in determining fish load for a system is your actual bio-load. I would test nitrate after changing water and do another test a week later. What are your levels?
Are the fish all full grown?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you done any water tests lately? ONE of the factors in determining fish load for a system is your actual bio-load. I would test nitrate after changing water and do another test a week later. What are your levels?
Are the fish all full grown?
Corydoras aren't but bettas I think they are and also the apple snails I haven't done any tbh tomorrow I will do a water change and I will test but the last time I did tests nitrates were 0. I will update tomorrow with the test results.

Sorry guys Internet prob. I did tests these are my results.

Ph 7
Nh3 Nh4 0
No2 0
No3 20
Gh16
Kh 13

Sorry guys Internet prob. I did tests these are my results.

Ph 7
Nh3 Nh4 0
No2 0
No3 20
Gh16
Kh 13
This is before water change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.