The Planted Tank Forum banner

random dark colored shrimp?

2K views 20 replies 4 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
last week i found a dark colored shrimp in my tank while doing my weekly maintenance.
i have only added amano shrimp to my tank. has anyone an idea of what type of shrimp this could be?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a really dark Neocaridina to me. If you didn't intentionally add it to your tank, it likely came as a hitchhiker that you didn't notice. Sometimes happens with plants and other livestock.

That stripe you see down the back usually indicates they're in the last stage of their life - a senior citizen, if you will.

It's a really gorgeous shrimp. Maybe you could try to find some other dark Neos to add to the tank to try to breed them?

#3 ·
Looks like a really dark Neocaridina to me. If you didn't intentionally add it to your tank, it likely came as a hitchhiker that you didn't notice. Sometimes happens with plants and other livestock.

That stripe you see down the back usually indicates they're in the last stage of their life - a senior citizen, if you will.

It's a really gorgeous shrimp. Maybe you could try to find some other dark Neos to add to the tank to try to breed them?

i have some mini amano's in my tank that are already breeding in my tank. the dark one has a big belly so maybe it's a female that already is carying some eggs!
i hope she has because i don't mind have some more of these dark one!!

#21 ·
I meant mix up, as in confuse - not hybridize. Unless you're referring to OP, who isn't sure what they are.

I sent the main exporter to the Netherlands an email this afternoon and they're going to try to send some photos my way of their current "mini amano" stock. If I receive them, I'll post them here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.