The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last week i found a dark colored shrimp in my tank while doing my weekly maintenance.
i have only added amano shrimp to my tank. has anyone an idea of what type of shrimp this could be?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
Looks like a really dark Neocaridina to me. If you didn't intentionally add it to your tank, it likely came as a hitchhiker that you didn't notice. Sometimes happens with plants and other livestock.

That stripe you see down the back usually indicates they're in the last stage of their life - a senior citizen, if you will.

It's a really gorgeous shrimp. Maybe you could try to find some other dark Neos to add to the tank to try to breed them?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a really dark Neocaridina to me. If you didn't intentionally add it to your tank, it likely came as a hitchhiker that you didn't notice. Sometimes happens with plants and other livestock.

That stripe you see down the back usually indicates they're in the last stage of their life - a senior citizen, if you will.

It's a really gorgeous shrimp. Maybe you could try to find some other dark Neos to add to the tank to try to breed them?

i have some mini amano's in my tank that are already breeding in my tank. the dark one has a big belly so maybe it's a female that already is carying some eggs!
i hope she has because i don't mind have some more of these dark one!!

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
i have some mini amano's in my tank that are already breeding in my tank. the dark one has a big belly so maybe it's a female that already is carying some eggs!
i hope she has because i don't mind have some more of these dark one!!
While Amano will breed in freshwater, their offspring unfortunately won't survive. Are you sure they're Amano and not a variety of Caridina that's common in the hobby?

The dark shrimp could be female but there are no visible eggs being carried. Additional shrimp would be required for breeding, which is why I suggested you try to find more dark ones like that. They're gorgeous.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While Amano will breed in freshwater, their offspring unfortunately won't survive. Are you sure they're Amano and not a variety of Caridina that's common in the hobby?

The dark shrimp could be female but there are no visible eggs being carried. Additional shrimp would be required for breeding, which is why I suggested you try to find more dark ones like that. They're gorgeous.
I have normal amano shrimps and the “mini” amano shrimps it is a different species but they do the same and they look the same but smaller. And the offspring from the mini amano shrimp will survive in freshwater I started with 25 and now I have over 50 and I sell them

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
That’s what I told the mini amanos are the same but smaller
Yeah... but they're not. Since Amanos don't produce offspring that can survive in freshwater. Which means you have a different variety of shrimp - likely a Caridina species that's frequently referred to as "Mini Amano" but are not actually Amanos. They're really common in the Netherlands and Northern Europe.

Photos of the shrimp in your tank will help us properly identify them for you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah... but they're not. Since Amanos don't produce offspring that can survive in freshwater. Which means you have a different variety of shrimp - likely a Caridina species that's frequently referred to as "Mini Amano" but are not actually Amanos. They're really common in the Netherlands and Northern Europe.

Photos of the shrimp in your tank will help us properly identify them for you.
I know what the species in my tank are except for the dark one on my original foto’s. What I was trying to say is that I already have shrimps that can breed in my tank so that it would be possible to breed/reproduce the dark one

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
I know what the species in my tank are except for the dark one on my original foto’s. What I was trying to say is that I already have shrimps that can breed in my tank so that it would be possible to breed/reproduce the dark one
But you don't know. Which is why so many of us have tried to help you identify them. Because Amanos cannot successfully produce offspring that survive in freshwater. Meaning you don't have Amanos. "Mini Amanos" is not a species - it's a slang term for clear Caridina shrimp that shops in the Netherlands and Northern Europe mislabel in order to sell them for a higher price.

If you don't want to share photos, that's fine. Just know that you do not have Amanos that can produce young that survive in freshwater.

You'll need more Neocaridina shrimp in order to breed the dark shrimp you have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But you don't know. Which is why so many of us have tried to help you identify them. Because Amanos cannot successfully produce offspring that survive in freshwater. Meaning you don't have Amanos. "Mini Amanos" is not a species - it's a slang term for clear Caridina shrimp that shops in the Netherlands and Northern Europe mislabel in order to sell them for a higher price.

If you don't want to share photos, that's fine. Just know that you do not have Amanos that can produce young that survive in freshwater.

You'll need more Neocaridina shrimp in order to breed the dark shrimp you have.
I know what species I have I have the big normal amanos that can’t reproduce I know that. I also have
Caridina sp. Mini-Japonica

that are the shrimps on the screenshot. I am trying to identify the dark shrimp that probably came with something else. It’s not that I don’t want to share foto’s but my big original amano shrimps are 100% amanos because they have had eggs that didn’t hatch and I bought them from a trusted store. The caridina sp mini japonica are also bought from a trusted store. So I don’t have to share those pictures because I have all the information about those. And if you don’t want to help me identify the dark one that is fine. But don’t try to act like you know more or better about the shrimps that I bought and know what they are. I asked for the identity of the dark one not the amanos or mini amanos, I know that we call them mini amanos in the Netherlands and that they are not even from the same family.

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
I know what species I have I have the big normal amanos that can’t reproduce I know that. I also have
Caridina sp. Mini-Japonica

that are the shrimps on the screenshot. I am trying to identify the dark shrimp that probably came with something else. It’s not that I don’t want to share foto’s but my big original amano shrimps are 100% amanos because they have had eggs that didn’t hatch and I bought them from a trusted store. The caridina sp mini japonica are also bought from a trusted store. So I don’t have to share those pictures because I have all the information about those. And if you don’t want to help me identify the dark one that is fine. But don’t try to act like you know more or better about the shrimps that I bought and know what they are. I asked for the identity of the dark one not the amanos or mini amanos, I know that we call them mini amanos in the Netherlands and that they are not even from the same family.
Caridina sp mini japonica are not a real thing. They're just clear Caridina - generic, colorless Crystal shrimp that have been intentionally misidentified. It's just a scam among a few aquarium shops in the Netherlands to mislead buyers into believing they're miniature Amanos. On occasion, they're even mislabeled clear Tiger Shrimp. They all interbreed. But but they're most certainly not a separate species.

The dark shrimp was identified 5 hours ago. You can click here to find that post.

Please spare me the insults so I don't have to issue an infraction. Being an ass to someone who put in the effort to help you is hardly acceptable. This isn't Facebook.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What if the "mini amanos" are actually just clear Neos?
They are. It is actually a mix here in the Netherlands, they are mixed with some sort of tigers. When I look at mine some are super clear and other have “tiger” stripes across their backs

·
Super Moderator
15,784 Posts
What if the "mini amanos" are actually just clear Neos?
They likely do mix them up (edit: I mean 'confuse', not hybridize) with clear Neos on a regular basis. But the ones I've sourced from the Netherlands (2012 or so) bred with my Caridina shrimp. Seems to be the most common there. On occasion, I've seen Super Tigers mislabeled as Mini Japonica - which is what my most recent import of them from Indofishexporter were last year. They also supply most of the shops in Amsterdam (like Aquarium House) and the surrounding area.

When I've seen Neos mislabeled, they tend to be more snowball or the slightly whiteish Palmata and slightly more opaque.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts