The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got some questions for the experts. sorry if these seem like bad questions. I can't seem to find the answers or I am not searching the correct terms.
1. When you start CO2 do you have to continue for the life of the tank? ie. Can I run a diy for 3 weeks then start it back up a month later?
2. What is the outcome if I run CO2 for 3 weeks then not for awhile?
3. With doing the diy yeast sugar bottles method is doing a 2 litter even making a difference on a larger tank? Mine is 55g.
I think that this is a good starting point for some of the questions I have.
Background: tank is cycled been up and running for about a year. Water changes weekly. Planted crypts, swords, java moss, vals, money wort, micro swords, and a random plant that is starting to come up from substrate. No clue what it is I did not plant anything near it in the tank.
Thanks for time and responses.

·
Planted Tanker
6,059 Posts
1. The problem is plants adapt to having real co2 available, then they would have to adapt again to not having it. Plants adapt by allocating their resources (energy) into gathering light, nutrients, as well as CO2. This is an overly simplified way of putting it.

The adaptation may or may not be visibly stressful to the plants, but it takes time, ie couple weeks. It is during this adjustment period that algae woes are likely. Then....good luck getting rid of it, because it is a whole lot easier to add co2 than to take it away.

2. Most likely a 3 week growth spurt for the plants, then algae - see #1

3. Probably take at least as couple 2 liter bottles to make a difference on a 55 gallon. Ideally you would have them on staggered start/change times to help keep the levels consistent (changing one per week for example)

Four 2 liters would be more like it, but none of your plants are very demanding, and assuming you have only moderate lighting, 2 might offer some benefits. Whether or not it'd be worth it you'd just have to try it and see.

The try it and see applies to the 3 weeks thing as well. If light levels are in the low to moderate range, with easy non-demanding plants, there may not be much of a problem adding CO2 for 3-4 week intervals. Here again, you'd just have to try it and see.

Why are you considering CO2 to begin with? Have you considered a liquid carbon supplement, like flourish Excel or Metricide? While it's not the same as real CO2 it can definitely boost plants, offers a pretty good middle ground between none and the real thing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why will there be a gap in co2? Going out of town for a bit? Everything burr said was right. The key is consistency. Fluctuations in co2 levels can also cause the big pita, black beard algae. If you are simply going out of town I would wait until you get back. Otherwise I don't understand the gap. When you buy the supplies for diy co2 you usually buy enough for a while

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just wondering about running a gap in co2. I wont be heading out of town. Wish I was the snow is kind of a damper. I have liquid carbon think its just API from pet store. I have not used it extensively. I guess my idea was any extra co2 would boost my plants. I have some stunted growth. My vals should be the height of the tank, they are only a few inches. My moss is growing moss. I got the brown junk. I have reduced feeding and extra water changes. I got some apitso juvies and there are only 4 of them in 55gl. no grow out tank. So I am pretty sure that I was over feeding. The brown junk and stunted growth happened before I got the fish. Tank went about 4 weeks with out me adding any food. I was wondering about the diy co2 thinking that if I did go with multiple jugs I might run into the problem of too much co2. O my lights are t 5 the smaller of the ts I have a two bulbs that get me past 6500k.Thanks for the helpful insight. I will play around with the liquid carbon and the small amount of diy co2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.