The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they just not that hardy or am I doing something horribly wrong? Every other critter in my tank is doing fine...even the otos from PetsMart (yeah, that's right). My RCS are fine, my pygmy corys are fine and my harlequinn rasboras are fine. My CO2 is constant. The only thing different about yesterday was the fact that I did a rather large wc. Are they really sensitive to things like that? :(

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Is a shrimp tank only??? I have about 24 of them but sometimes I do wonder why I could only spot couple of them in the tank. I have a community tank with tetra fish species the most. 40g and heavily planted. I could only spot their empty shells from molting. Never found any dead bodies though. How did you spot the dead bodies?

·
Registered
352 Posts
When you say random do you mean one or ten? If it's 1 it might be from stress and the dead one just molted and it was more vulnerable during the process. If it's ten then something's wrong and we ll need to know more about the tank

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
They are not sensitive to large water changes. Mine are about 3 years old and the tank they are in gets a 75-80% water change weekly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Is a shrimp tank only??? I have about 24 of them but sometimes I do wonder why I could only spot couple of them in the tank. I have a community tank with tetra fish species the most. 40g and heavily planted. I could only spot their empty shells from molting. Never found any dead bodies though. How did you spot the dead bodies?
When they're dead usually they look like how a cooked shrimp looks like.

I'm not sure if Amanos will eat their dead but they will eat any dead fish and dead smaller shrimps like RCS.

To lure them out, try put a large piece of veggie in a visible and watch them attack it. Usually when I feed them the Wardley Premium they actually swim around the tank.

I'm not sure what substrate you have but I have 13 adult sized in a 55G and when I vacuumed the gravel I was shocked to see how much crap is in there. I have 6 small ones in an Eclipse 12 bare bottom and the crap they leave behind after a weekend is astounding... That would really make for good fertilizers. I don't know what they're eating to poop so much, i barely feed teh tank and it jsut has moss in it.

All I got to say is that they seem pretty hardy to me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I do 50+% water change weekly, and it seems like the amano's like it -- they seem to come out and explore the tank more whenever I do this. Might be them enjoying the cold clean water.....

When I had amanos dying seemingly randomly a few years ago, I basically ended up with the theory that it might have been due to an overdose of trace dosing. My theory was I put in enough copper in the water column to be lethal to the shrimp.

After two (or three?) consecutive 50+% water change and a switch to TMG, no more amano shrimp deaths. I never bothered to find out if it really was due to an overdose of copper from my trace element dosing, as I did not care to repeat the experiment and kill more shrimp.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Might as well go ahead and pony up specifics about your tank (because people like me always ask - ha) so we can better help.

Tank size?
Water parameters?
Temperature?
How many fish total? How many cherries?
Substrate?
Filtration?
Lighting?
Ferts?
How much CO2?
In order,
20g long
0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 6.2~6.3pH, anywhere between 80-160ppm Nitrates :icon_eek:
76-78F during the day, consistently 74-76F from whenever I get home until I leave in the morning (window AC unit on+heater running).
5 Espei Rasboras, 7 or 8 FRCS (I lose count), 5 Otocinclus vittatus, Pygmy Corydoras, currently 2 Amano shrimp (found ANOTHER one when I got home today).
9L Aqua Soil Amazonia NEW Normal type with 2L Power Sand Special-S under it
Eheim 2215 with 2 100mL bags of Purigen added and the carbon filter pad removed
2x24W 24" T5-HO fixture 12" above water surface, also modified with 2 sheets of window screening to reduce the light intensity
Standard EI dosing
30ppm CO2 (may be more at night when the lights are off)

High nitrate much...? This is on the third day (dosing 3/16 tsp Potassium Nitrate the second time out of three this week). Is this normal or should I just stop dosing KNO3 and use K2SO4?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump. Hoping to get to the bottom of this. 8hr photo period for the lighting. One small pinch of food (just enough for my rasboras and pygmys) and 1-2 shrimp pellet(s) before lights out for the shrimps/pygmys that didn't get food. Any other info needed?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're not old enough to start breeding yet. According to the breeder I bought them from they've got another week or two before they're old enough (I bought them as juvies). Tom Barr noted that even with extremely high nitrate levels shrimp seem not to be effected as long as other parameters are good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have had similar issue with some amanos dying, I have attributed it to CO2 not degassing at nigh because I can't think of any other reason than that. I have high CO2 levels during the day and until I put a powerhead at the surface really agitating it I had issues.

Len
I had my last Amano die last week. It's like I buy 8 and then they slowly die over a period of a year. I wish I knew why...

In any case, I bumped up my CO2 to fight an algae outbreak and I think that did it. My drop checker went from green to lemon/lime color with the CO2 change and the pH dropped from about 6.4 to 6.0. Two days into this - dead Amano. I also lost an otto (although that might have been due to harassment from somewhat new Odessa Barbs which had grown to adulthood).

Oh, I should mention that the Amano moulted a about 2-3 days before I bumped the CO2. Perhaps post-moulting issues? Both my KH and GH are 4 degrees after I treat RO water changes with baking soda and GH booster. Hmmm.. Maybe the water changes are stressful since the params are all over the place for about 1.5 hours??

Man, I wish I could keep Amanos longer than a few months!!!

Will

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.