The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I set up a new tank after being away from the hobby for a WHILE...

Thread is here.

I have a bunch of liquid ferts from Seachem and was dosing according to the bottles, but that wasn't working. Switched to EI dosing and QUICKLY ran out of phosphorous and potassium. I've ordered new dry ferts from a member on here to switch to the PPS-Pro method, but they won't be here for at least 2 days. What should I do?

1.) stop dosing everything and turn off the lights
2.) dose everything as normal just without P and K
3.) do option 2 but cut back on light intensity (currently at 2x36w bulbs, so remove 1?)
4.) do option 2 but a shorter photoperiod (it's already short at 6 hours while the tank gets up and running)
5.) do something else (provide details please!)

Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
For two days you should be fine with option 2. When dosing EI you are essentially overdosing to a level that does not limit your plants growth through nutrients. This means your water probably has enough P and K to get you through. Additionally, PPS-Pro is just an augmented version of EI with smaller concentrations of micros and macros; this would mean that you will be lowering the amounts your plants would be receiving either way.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
The growth may be stunted just a tiny bit after you get the ferts going again, but two days is really nothing to be concerned about. Probably have that much residual in there.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
You should be fine keeping everything like you have it now for the couple of days it will take for your ferts to get there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts