The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I seem to of picked up a hitch hiker with my recent plant purchase from the fish store. Should I take it out before he makes babies?? I searched on here, but it seems some people leave em and some take them out? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Its up to you. Ramshorns are not as prolific as pond snails and are easy to get rid of. I destroyed my whole population by crushing up the ones I seen and feeding them to some fish that wouldn't eat anything but live food.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its up to you. Ramshorns are not as prolific as pond snails and are easy to get rid of. I destroyed my whole population by crushing up the ones I seen and feeding them to some fish that wouldn't eat anything but live food.

ahh ok, ill probably just let him be, its not like hes hurting anything(yet). :) Anyway, adds some life to the substrate, or driftwood haha.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Absolutely and totally disagree. They are indeed as prolific as pond snails. I have kept and bred different snails in years past. At one point I had so many ramshorns that they were actually laying eggs on my brigs snails. It took me 6 months of daily manual hunt and destroy to rid myself of them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's really strange because I had actually added two different species in my tank and they were overtaken by the pond snails I had. When I opened up my canister filter it was filled with tiny pond snails but no ramshorns. I had ones that look like that one and the red ones that actually look kind of neat. Thats just my personal experience. You might want to google ramshorn snails and read more on them.

It might be helpful to note that I had three large newts that loved baby snails.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's really strange because I had actually added two different species in my tank and they were overtaken by the pond snails I had. When I opened up my canister filter it was filled with tiny pond snails but no ramshorns. I had ones that look like that one and the red ones that actually look kind of neat. Thats just my personal experience. You might want to google ramshorn snails and read more on them.

It might be helpful to note that I had three large newts that loved baby snails.
Ah ha ....... the newt factor. There must be something absolutely irresistibly delicious about ramshorns that assassin snails and others love. Somehow they don't like pond snails and are absolutely the last snail on their menu.

One of the best sites for snail info is: http://www.applesnail.net/ go to the left sidebar and click on discussions (forums). They're an apple snail group but lots and lots of info on all kinds of snails. :proud:

I do find ramshorn snails really really cute but beware that they can overrun a tank. I like the red ones too! :icon_wink

·
Registered
418 Posts
I picked one up with some moss.
Before long I was over run. Clown and skunk loaches to the rescue.
Keep the snail, let them populate then get some loaches or a puffer.
Watching the pea puffers go after snails is great fun! they hunt the snail then flip them over and burrow into the shell

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
IMO Snails are a natural addition to the lifecycle of a planted tank. I really enjoy them. They help in the breakdown of foods and waste. They can get out of hand but population control is easy. Just put in a algae wafer and wait for it to get covered then scoop them out.

Sit back and enjoy them. If you observe them I am certain you will see they are fascinating creatures.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMO Snails are a natural addition to the lifecycle of a planted tank. I really enjoy them. They help in the breakdown of foods and waste. They can get out of hand but population control is easy. Just put in a algae wafer and wait for it to get covered then scoop them out.

Sit back and enjoy them. If you observe them I am certain you will see they are fascinating creatures.
yea, they are neat to watch. I bought some feeder shrimp the other day, 6 of them. Three of them died I know of, I know I have two left, they are cool to watch. Too bad I cant have any other shrimp that cost anything, I think my angel might of ate the other. :fish: (that was my intent on buying them) I'm surprised they have lived this long, it will be a week tomorrow.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love all kinds of snails. I've purchased ramshorn snails (ebay) and gotten one as a hitchhiker. However, I've yet to have them reproduce in my tank (at least, such that the babies are big enough to identify). I'm hoping that they will.

NOTE: I've only had them about 4-8 weeks. If anyone wants to send me some ramshorn snails, I'd love it. :)

Are those pictured actually ramshorn snails or just pond snails?? I can't quite tell.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Is this a baby ramshorn? The font is like 9 point, but its shell does not look like the other one. It is wound up vertically, not horizontally like the other one. They are the same color though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Found another, he is lighter than what the picture shows. I put them in a cup in the aquarium to hold them for the next hour or so lol.."time out" :p

EDIT: better idea

lmao

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
x2, they are absolutely pond snails, 100% sure. i'm plagued with them. DESTROY!
Definitely pond snail. If you squash or remove them every time you see one you should get them all soon. Do not let one survive. See one ........ either squash or remove or you will be very very sorry.

Assassin snails aren't really crazy about eating them either! They must taste bad.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Definitely pond snail. If you squash or remove them every time you see one you should get them all soon. Do not let one survive. See one ........ either squash or remove or you will be very very sorry.

Assassin snails aren't really crazy about eating them either! They must taste bad.

I've found 8, I have all of them between the cups, anyone want them? :icon_twis

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've found 8, I have all of them between the cups, anyone want them? :icon_twis
If you don't want to squash them. Throw them in the trash, the garden, out the window. Just get rid of them or you will be posting for :help: soon!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you don't want to squash them. Throw them in the trash, the garden, out the window. Just get rid of them or you will be posting for :help: soon!

I wonder if they are worth store credit? :hihi:

haha just kidding.
I'm going to try to feed them to my angel fish without the shell here in a minute.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.