The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep a Ramshorn from floating to the top. My Angels like to pick at it then.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't think there is a way to stop them. That's just something they like to do. My Rams and Pond/Bladder snails love to do that.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thats just something they do when they loose their footing sometimes. No way to prevent it, you could add some floaters or something for them to grab onto when they hit the surface to help relieve the angel attacks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to feed fish last night and the Ramshorn was on the bottom doing his thing. Interesting to see how far they come out of their shell while scavenging. My Nerite hardly moves at all. I have a big blue shelled MS and he enjoys being half in the water and half out. You think my water conditions are not right for him?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yeah, snails "walk" on the surface of the water as if it were another bottom to the tank. They consume bacteria and proteins in the biofilm that collects in still waters in their natural environment.

You'll never be able to stop it from floating, but as stated before you can provide floaters to keep it hidden.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts