The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, I think it's exciting every time.
This pair I bought about two weeks ago. They've already spawned in the tank once before (in the exact same spot - they must like it). Last time, just as I could see what eggs were viable, they ate them. I hope they outgrow that some day. Right now they're still at it, so far she's laid half again as many eggs as the first time. I may put a small rock in the nook they like - so I can remove the eggs in the future. (after I get a 10g tank perhaps).
Is it normal for them to lay eggs so often, (this is twice in about two weeks) or will my female exhaust herself & die?
Thanks!
~ Cin ~

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know - I've never had them before & I really like their character! I'd hate to lose her because of exhaustion...
Do yours always eat their eggs? I'll be removing them in the future I think. (the eggs)

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
They can lay eggs as quick as every week. That is if they don't have anything to take care at the time. Here is a thread I started regarding breeding mine. Still haven't gotten any total successful breeds and I think they have went into hiatus with regards to breeding as I have not given them any live food lately. Every time before this they lay eggs within a day or two of a mass introduction of daphnia.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/140543-just-got-gbr-eggs.html

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to go read your link - as for food, I've just been giving mine the same tetra color flake the whole tank gets. Maybe with better food they'd stop eating the eggs sooner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts