The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I added female rams to my tank just a yesterday afternoon, and I was hoping to get a pair formed between them and the already existing male rams. Well, when I got home today, I noticed that a couple of the rams seemed to have formed a pair already. They were always swimming together and seemed to be staking a out a territory. I was hoping that this would lead to eggs, and when I got back home from dinner, I found what I was hoping for. Right at the front of the tank up against the glass, I saw the pair guarding a clutch of what appears to be 50-100 eggs :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:
They are currently fending off all the other fish in the tank. As I was told that it is necessary to give the rams light during this time so the can better defend the clutch, I have left a lamp on for them. I hope that when I wake up in the morning I won't find an empty nest.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Grats to ya. I had to seperate my pair from my community last week after they spawned. They laid their first batch and they had half the tank to themselves. Now they are in a 29 with their second spawn, maybe I'll get some survivors this time.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Grats to ya. I had to seperate my pair from my community last week after they spawned. They laid their first batch and they had half the tank to themselves. Now they are in a 29 with their second spawn, maybe I'll get some survivors this time.

Did the parents end up killing all the spawn or was it the other tank members? a combination of both? Oh and how long did it take for your ram eggs to hatch? Sorry for all the questions... thanks for the info

mark

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The eggs will hatch in 48 to 72h depends on water temp. If your PH is above 8 they won't hatch. Don't expect a lot from the first couple of batches of eggs, they will prob be eaten by the tank mates or the parents, when the parents get disturbed a lot by the tankmates, this will stress them out and parents eat eggs.

If you want to have surviving fry, put a couple in a 20 long with a lot of large leave plants and couple of flat rocks and or little ceramic flower pots, add IAL (optional but it always helped me) and let them do there thing. If you notice outside there will be thunderstorms or you see the airpresure goes down, do a water change with slightly colder water and this will induce spawning. Wait untill the fry is freeswimming and feeds on infusoria and take the parents out. keep feeding with infusoria, microworms and after a week brine shrimp.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The eggs will hatch in 48 to 72h depends on water temp. If your PH is above 8 they won't hatch. Don't expect a lot from the first couple of batches of eggs, they will prob be eaten by the tank mates or the parents, when the parents get disturbed a lot by the tankmates, this will stress them out and parents eat eggs.

If you want to have surviving fry, put a couple in a 20 long with a lot of large leave plants and couple of flat rocks and or little ceramic flower pots, add IAL (optional but it always helped me) and let them do there thing. If you notice outside there will be thunderstorms or you see the airpresure goes down, do a water change with slightly colder water and this will induce spawning. Wait untill the fry is freeswimming and feeds on infusoria and take the parents out. keep feeding with infusoria, microworms and after a week brine shrimp.
hey thanks for that advice on breeding rams. Just a quick question. Have you ever had success with ram parents rearing a spawn from hatch to maturity? I was hoping to just leave the spawns with the parents as I do not currently have a prepared tank just for the spawn. Of course, I do expect to have some losses due to predation from other tank inhabitants, but do you think it is possible for some of the spawn to survive under the protection of their parents? Thanks for the input

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh I forgot to update how my eggs did over night because I have heard many reports of eggs going missing or disappearing after laying. Anyway, when I woke up this morning I discovered that my eggs were all as I had last seen them the previous night. I didn't notice any real reduction in terms of numbers although there might have been a few less... other than that it looked like the male was tightly guarding the nest site. leaving the area only to drive away curious fish. He didn't even go after the food that I fed the tank. So far at least, he has been very attentive and has showed no signs of going cannibal, but I guess we shall see how long that lasts.

Oh ya, can someone tell me how you can tell if the eggs are fertile or not? I know that there have been a lot of post saying that the parents will eat infertile eggs, but since this is there first time at it, I was just curious to know if they were actually taking care of the infertile ones. I have bred bettas before and was just curious to know if just as with betta eggs you could kind of spot infertile eggs.

thanks for the info

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thought I would add an update. Unfortunately, when I got home yesterday, I noticed that all the fry were eaten and missing. I know that this was there first try, so I hope survival rates increase with time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.