The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
woo-hoo! The two blue rams I bought Friday have spawned. I don't know if the eggs would even be viable, the temps are at about 78, but the ph is over 7. They had paired off in the tank at Petsmart, I bet she was preggers then? Anyhow, they are totally ignoring the eggs, until I leaned in close for the pics (sorry they are so bad). Then they came charging in - lol. If they hatch, I guess they'll get eaten. There's nothing for them to eat, anyway. I can't imagine they'd be able to eat tetra flakes bits. I suppose nothing will come of it, but's it's cool, anyhow... :bounce:
If I can get them to do this again, what conditions do they need to spawn, and how do you provide for the fry if they make it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If its their first spawn ever, the parents will probably eat the eggs. If the eggs end up hatching and fry not getting eaten, feed it with fry food like infusoria, microworms & baby brine shrimp

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm pretty sure this time will be a failure, but I'm hoping they will continue to lay eggs in the future, if I can get the tank parameters to suit them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Kitty_Kitch! I'm not optimistic at all, after what I've been reading online, but I have hopes for the future - lol. It's fun & exciting all the same - the rams have so much character, maybe my next tank will be a cichlid tank after all.
My cardinal tetras are still tiny/puny and timid, but the black tetras grew very large, fast. They are pigs, and I'm sure they'll devour the eggs if they find them. Providing the rams don't do that themselves...
I imagine I sound silly to the experienced aquarists here - getting all worked up over eggs that may never hatch, but that's the way I am! lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm enjoying the rams so much (never had them before) that I think I'll set up a 10g planted tank just for another pair. My Petsmart has been carrying them lately, along with kribs, as a "limited time" offer. I may do a double stand with two 10g tanks stacked. One for kribs, too. I've had them before & love them also.
I'm going to be just like my Dad - lol. When I was a kid, he had tanks everywhere. I just gave one of his 20g set ups with the stand to my friend. (my Dad's been gone since 2000 - he wouldn't mind) He had at least 7 tanks, two being 55s. So I have a 40, and a 55, and I think another 20 in the shed. I already know I want another 55 in the bedroom, and a coworker has a son that wants to give me a 90, if he can get his wife to part with it. (I've already made the "wifey voodoo doll"). I'm thinking right now that two stacked 20s would be easier to plant/scape than two 10s...lol
The addiction has started...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.