The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rams in an open top tank

1009 11
Hi,

Do you know if that would be ok? Or are they jumpers and it should be avoided? I've heard bettas jumping out and even my betta jumped so want to be careful.

Thanks!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had a ram jump on me once. It was because I got home in the middle of the night and flipped on all the lights at once. Fortunately I saw him flopping on the floor and got him back in the tank safely. That was on a rimless tank with the water at the very lip too.

With that being the only occurrence; I wouldn't worry much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ram's generally hang out at the bottom of the tank, and are much more graceful swimmers than a lot of other fish who "dart" across tanks and up and down the water column.

I seriously doubt you'd ever have issue with an open top tank. I don't, and I have two Ram's and an open top tank as well.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I'm glad to hear others keep rams in topless tanks without issue! I will be getting one soon myself. Tank has a riparium on top that's ever evolving so there's no option for a hood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.