Ferts:
1/2 Pump ADA Brighty-K 3X Week

Flora:
Marsellia minuta
Java Fern 'Windelov'
Crypt wallissii

Fauna:
Possibly White Cloud Mountain Minnows, or Boraras brigittae

I'll be setting this up low-tech, I'm thinking a 13W Ott-Lite. Going to use a Red Sea Nano filter, and planning to use Aquasoil for the planted area in here and white sand for the rest of the tank. I'm thinking I should do a wood scape since my other tank is a rock scape.
As far as plants, I've got some Java Fern 'Windelov' on its way here, along with various other plants from my brothers tank. The plan is to work what I can into this tank. I don't plan to use much Aquasoil in here, so I may be able to just take it from my other tank and have this running over the weekend!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like the tank will have some nice stereo sound LOL.:D
Yup! Haha I'm excited to get this rolling, my brother hasn't shipped the plants out yet so it probably won't be till Wednesday that I get them. If I'm not mistaken the plant list (that I"m getting) should look something like this:

Java Fern 'Windelov"
Limnophilia aromatica
HM
Blyxa
Rotala 'Mini' Type 1
Cryptocoryne willisii

I may be wrong on some though. I highly doubt all of those will make it into this tank though. We've got 5 tanks going in the household now if I'm not mistaken, I'm sure we could find somewhere for whatever I don't use!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Your plant choices sound great except perhaps the L. aromatica. I think it might look a little crowded in a small tank. Do you have driftwood that you plan to use in this tank already picked out?

And you mentioning Cryptocoryne willisii reminds me of how badly I want to try that plant. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What kind of tunes do your fish listen too! :icon_wink
Oh they'll get quite the variety, plus movies from time to time! Maybe I should move the subwoofer onto the desk too and get the Amano waves going hahaha.

Your plant choices sound great except perhaps the L. aromatica. I think it might look a little crowded in a small tank. Do you have driftwood that you plan to use in this tank already picked out?

And you mentioning Cryptocoryne willisii reminds me of how badly I want to try that plant. :)
Yeah like I said I doubt I'll use all of them in here, we've got 7 potential tanks I could use them in. TBH I had never even heard of that type of crypt until my brother told me I got some along with an order!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I found a place that is LITERALLY right down the road that's website states they carry ADA products. I'm going to head down there tomorrow before work and check out what they got. I don't have ANY driftwood picked out for this yet, literally the only thing I have ready for this tank is the tank itself. And the plants should be on their way tomorrow. I'm planning on picking up the filter tomorrow and likely finding some sand or such to use in here as well.
I do need some help though. I'm torn as to what to use for a light on here. Like I said I'm looking to keep it low tech, and I think using the Hampton Bay Desk Lamp would push the boundaries on that, even if I raised it high enough. But in the same regard, I think that an Ott-Lite would have too little light to successfully grow these plants. And like I said either here or in another forum, I don't mind dosing, but I'd really rather not have Co2 on here. Any ideas on what I should do about light? Should I just go for the cheap Hampton Bay lamp and raise it?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Sounds like a good start so far! Where can one find a Red Sea Nano Filter at a store? Only places I've seen them are on eBay...

Sorry I can't help much with the light decision; I'm fairly new to planted tanks and am learning things here and there as I go along. I'll keep up with this journal to see your progress.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I had a whole thing written about this tank but stupid laptop selected out of the textbox and went back a page when I hit delete...
So in short, this tank is still the same. I've only added the filter and decided that the desk is not a good place for it. I was having some trouble decided what to do with this tank but through the course of writing the previous post, I decided on what I'll be doing, or at least what the plan is. I still want the Java Fern to be the centerpiece, so I'm going to find some type of jagged dark rock to sort of come out from the center, preferably low-lying, sort of give it a crater feel I guess. Surrounding this will be Marsellia minuta. I'm actually hoping this does NOT carpet. I want it to maintain a sort of sporadic look to it. If it does end up carpeting, as I'll have to use high(er) light to get it to stay short(er) and maintain the low-leaf growth, I won't hate it but I'd prefer it to stay sporadic.
With all that being said, I'll still have to wait until Fish Gallery gets their stock of Aquasoil replenished, and at some point I'll have to get the light for this tank. And I've got to find somewhere to put it too... At least I've decided to stay in my current house and not move so I can set this up :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice tank:) I like the choice of plants. Hopefully you find a nice light.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My roommate picked me up the light for this today where he works. I'm going to update the first post later today with the specs for everything and such but for now I'll post pictures of where it stands now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts