The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too familiar with cichlids, but what I do know is that you have to fill the tank with them so that they can't establish a pecking order and kill each other. I have a 15 gallon, and let's say I just wanted one fish in it with plants, could I put a ram or other type of cichlid (I know there are many shapes and sizes) in a 15 gallon alone?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Which species of ram are you referring to? A 15, assuming it is the 24 inch long standard size, is just big enough for a mated pair of German rams, but the larger, more easily taken care of Bolivian rams would do better in a 30 inch long tank.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Apistogramma,or Shell dweller cichlid's might could do well in 15 gal.
One species likes soft water,the other hard water.
Believe 15 gal to be a bit small for the German blue ram.
Let's face it,, one of these little beauties (German blue ram's),often lead's to another, and this is where small tank becomes a problem if the two fish don't get along.
Is no room for the fish getting picked on to move out of harm's way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which species of ram are you referring to? A 15, assuming it is the 24 inch long standard size, is just big enough for a mated pair of German rams, but the larger, more easily taken care of Bolivian rams would do better in a 30 inch long tank.
That's a good question, I will have to do more research before I commit but they are both beautiful. I have fish already so I'm comfortable caring for an advanced fish, I just love how the rams look. They look like a much larger fish while staying small in my opinion. I guess if I'm using a 15 gallon I would have to go with the german rams!

·
Registered
88 Posts
15 is short on selection. As mentioned shell dwellers or dwarfs would be a maybe. Possibly even Kribs but there is only a handful of SAC that will stay small enough.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I agree with the above...if you use the 15 for german rams, make sure you have EITHER a lone fish, OR a bonded pair. Randomly throwing in two fish will likely result in an injured or dead ram. The most reliable way to get pairs with cichlids is to buy six and sell off the other 4 when a pair forms, but that may be hard to do in a 15 gallon.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Other ways to get a pair: PM Matt13 as he sells great rams, including confirmed pairs, at good prices or spend some time at PetSmart to pick one.

15g will be decent for a mated pair ime.

v3

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hard part is this.. The tank is too small for African cichlids.. Which are easier to keep. But having a small enough tank to keep German blue in, is harder to maintain pristine water which they require. Before selecting a type of cichlid, what are your water levels out of tap, is it planted heavily or not, do you plan on doing very frequent water changes, what else do you plan on keeping in the rank.. These are all questions that should be answered before yo decide what types of fish to put in.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.