The Planted Tank Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
I've heard of removing scratches with baking soda toothpaste or metal polish, but I have not idea if it actually works. Worst case scenario if you can't live with the scratched tank you could probably turn a profit on it now that it's all clean!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
oh nooo, what a bummer!

yeah, I've googled it extensively and came up with the answer that polishing the glass was going be a fruitless effort. I have a scratch on the center of my tank as well and it's pretty deep since I can feel it with my finger nail. Several reef sites tried to suggest that using cerium oxide could get them out but it left a big hazy spot around the scratch and made it more visible.

To be honest it is a pretty nice tank, you've already put the effort into cleaning it and once you have the tank scaped and with fish the scratch shouldn't be super visible in the grand scheme of things.

sucks to have found it at this point but if it doesn't leak then I would move forward and keep setting up the tank.

Option b. would you consider plugging up the drilled holes/removing the overflow and turning the back glass into the main front glass?
you could set up the tank with filter pipes that come over the sides like normal?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Leak?

Thanks guys. I think I am going to keep moving on with this project. It is definitely not worth trying to fix the scratches...just like you said,....and I also read a lot of stores on the internet. As for using it back to front...well, the whole point of getting this tank (personally speaking) was the built in overflow.
I think I can live with the scratches for now.

But wait! Is this a leak?

For two days, I have been watching a dark, slightly damp patch at the corner, in the wood...labelled as "1" in the photo. When I used to touch it, it felt damp. No drips on the floor, it did not spread, but that area stayed dark and damp. Only today I notice that it has dried up.

I do see a tiny dark area ..labelled as "2" . But I cannot determine if "2" is damp today. Maybe it is merely coloring of the wood.

Would it take two days for a wet area to dry out in a hot garage?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
is there a way to set up the tank on another flat area to try and see if its leaking?

Well, it has those bulkhead fittings jutting out from the bottom of the tank. Those prevent it from being setup on a flat area, like the floor.

I wonder if I could just remove those fittings and not fill it all the way up...........so the inside of the overflow stays dry.......that may allow me to set it up on the garage floor......right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
update

Wow, about one and a half month has passed? Too many things to do, too little time. Hence progress on this project is rather slow.
Here is an update:

I managed to finish painting the cabinet and tank's trim white.

Along the way, found some water damage to the bottom of the cabinet. Replaced that plywood with solid wood. Then scraped and filled in the other water damage. Finally primed and painted it. Used Rustoleum Epoxy for appliances. Here are some pics

Makeshift paint booth in garage.....bad idea! got over spray even 15 feet away!

Cabinet's photo, I think this was taken before the final coat.

I sprayed the trim white, this looks good to me! Sooo much better than than old fashioned fake oak wood finish.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
A little update

Hello world!

here is an update on this project.

I spent a couple of weeks designing and building the sump. There is a seperate thread about that, seen here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9-equipment/1309419-please-help-design-rebuild-sump.html

Now I am doing the plumbing. Here is what I had planned for:

The PVC parts were bought from FlexPVC online. The box was big, heavy and expensive to ship like $35 shipping!

There are a lot of small things which need to be done. Like the glass canopies wont fit, too small. So I removed the original middle support and installed some glass strips, like this.

Here is how the canopy now sits on the top:

Then I installed the black background. It was surprisingly easy to do. Hopefully the massive, ugly overflow box will blend into the background.

I have been plumbing it for the past 2-3 days. Here is what the whole thing looks like today. Still gotta do the vertical plumbing parts. Off to do that now...

PS: I know, I know......too many elbows there! But I was out of space. Needed to leave space for CO2 cylinder on the right side and needed enough length for the manifold. Plus, if I moved the sump all the way to the right, the durso drain wont fit easily with 45 degree PVC pipe fittings. More details on all those thoughts later.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Plumbing done!

Ok folks, here are some photos of my plumbing work. There is a manifold which will be connected to the output of the return pump. There are two outputs in the manifold. Both outputs have unionized ball valves in them, making it easier to control the water flow in each output. The third valve is to cut off water flow back fr They will be used for:

1. Moving the moving media
(instead of using an air stone)

2. Providing water flow through an inline CO2 diffuser

Overall view:

Close up view from right side:

Close up view from left side:

Did some testing on the sump and its pump. Details in the sump build thread here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/...-help-design-rebuild-sump-2.html#post11361139

Still pending tasks:

1. Still waiting on the soft silicone tubing to arrive. It will connect the pump to PVC pipe (via barbs). That will insulate the PVC pipe from the pump's vibrations. Those PVC fittings are also not glued in, I may need to adjust lengths.
  2. The U shaped exit using PVC fittings (for accommodating the CO2 diffuser) are also not glued in, I may need to adjust lengths. Will be done on the day this tank goes into production.
  3. The Durso drain's drain pipe's PVC fittings are not currently glued in. Gotta experiment with that. I heard a lot of noise the last time I tried it, in the original setup. Was thinking of drilling holes but I may want to start with just taking off the 2 end caps in the vertical drain pipe. Hoping that by the time water leaves the bottom of that tube, the air bubbles will rise and exit through the tube on top of that 45 degrees Y fitting. I saw that suggestion somewhere on the internet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
another update

Wow, time flies! Almost a month has passed from the last update I posted here?

Well, here is another update...

I have been working off and on on this project. Progress is very slow :-(
Here is what was done:

1. Installed some power strips. They have all outlets switched. Pretty expensive at $30 each.
  2. Added wire management channels to keep all wiring neat and tidy.
  3. Installed LED light strips on the inside of the cabinet.
  4. Found a nice place for the LED light switch, it fits well behind the door. And hidden when the door is closed.
  5. Added some adjustable shelves.
  6. And finally, installed the doors back on. They have nice soft close Blum hinges now.

Check out the photos below.
Our beloved doggie was very curious about what is going on, while I was taking the photos.

Completed cabinet:

Lit up interior:

Showing LED strip lights

Switched power strips and wire management

Shelves

Light switch

Still pending tasks:

1. Build light stand
  2. Aquascaping design
  3. RO water setup
  4. Plumbing for AWC+ATO
  5. Fire it all up!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't normally like rims on a tank, but I must say this is looking fantastic. Good work!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't normally like rims on a tank, but I must say this is looking fantastic. Good work!

Thank you and yes, I totally agree with you. I am the same, I hate these rims....I drool over rimless tanks big time! :grin2:
For this project, the tank was cheap, it was there. Now I am thinking, if it all goes really well, I may want to replace this tank one day, with a rimless. Of course that may get expensive real fast. But then again, I have spent a TON of money on this project.

By the way, the inspiration for this project is here:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/...planted-tank-adventurama-21.html#post11328119

Tank-lights-cabinet...wow....I love that look!

Mine would be a super poor man's version of that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Lights!

All righty folks! Another update:

1. Here is what I did:
  2. I bought some LED lights (More on this soon)
  3. Made a mounting system for them (More on this soon)
  4. Installed them to the cabinet.
  5. Moved the tank to its final location.
  6. Bought some Black Diamond blasting sand.
  7. Designed the RO DI filter system and bought it. Is coming next week. (More on this soon)

Next steps:
Buy and do plumbing of the ATO / AWC system
Aquascape :)

Here is what it looks like now:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
It is online!

Happy New Year everyone!

A long time has passed wow... 3+ months since I posted here. I had lots of small-small things to do, and too little time.
RO-DI setup was way too slow, but it is done now (almost, LoL).
AWC is not setup.
Then the aquascaping process took way too long.

Here is what it looks like today:

Still waiting on longer cables for the lights, they will be going inside the white pipes, and will be totally hidden :)

Close ups of aquascaping and plants. Bought a bunch of plants from a local guy here. Many of them had no roots (just cuttings). Still fighting a Algae (hair algae + BBA) outbreak in this tank.

Even more close ups. Some of the plants are in "rescue" mode....meaning I just planted them "somewhere" because they were not doing good because I left them floating in the tank for too many days :-(.

The Pennywort has taken off well.
African ferm in the back was totally covered/infested by BBA. Sprayed it with Metricide 50% and seems like some of the BBA is dying, but today I see top parts of the plant are again getting infested.

HC cuba in the foreground is not doing too well. Something more needs to be done. Gotta find out what.
AR is also not growing vigorously.

Photos of the working sump:

Having a sump is the best! Anyone who is not using one is missing out, LoL!
Apart from the obvious benefits, here are the ones I really like:

* Gets rid of most of the equipment from the DT (display tank). I wish I could take out the 2 wave makers I have in there...ugly!
* Stable water level in the DT

Close up of the foam blocks and chambers:

PS: I need to install the wire management covers, Wires are looking super ugly. Still waiting for the cables to arrive....did Monoprice even ship them?

The second chamber has poret Aqua cubes which are support to move by the force of the water jet. Right now the jet is pointing to the back and hence, not much movement. I am planning to change the jet to it shoots upwards, hoping that will move the foam blocks.

I have not setup the AWC system, yet...need to do plumbing for it. As of today, the manual water changes are super easy. Put that blue hose into a bucket, switch on the AWC pump. It takes out around 2.5 gallons.
  1. Open the water input valve, water gets pumped in from the basement.
  2. Dump the water
  3. Wait for return chamber to fill
  4. Close valve
  5. Done!

I like how the control panel is on the inside of the door:

CO2 injection is working really well...and I "finally" do not have any micro bubbles in the DT. The Poret sponge catches all the micro bubbles.

I have the lights and CO2 controlled using some Wi-Fi controlled outlets. They have been working fine, have a phone app which controls their schedules.
CO2 comes on a couple of hours before the lights come on.
Lights are on only for 4 hours < more on this problem later

I do have a bunch of problems I need to get sorted out.

Algae problems, BBA and hair algae.
CO2 injection timing
CO2 gas off during the night time, when CO2 is off.
Lights on timing

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congratulations on getting to this stage of the build. The refurbish is really impressive. I have not seen/read much about using sumps in planted tanks. Could you share some links/resources that inspired your handiwork?

I like the echoes you've got going on between the dragonstone on one side and driftwood on the other, looking forward to seeing the scape grow in.

On the algae front, I'm sure you're researching all the things, but seeing as water changes seem easy could you up their rhythm? Do you have some floating plants in there?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Congratulations on a stunning tank and great build!

It sure has come a long way from the tank pictured in the OP....well done!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts