The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my 12g tank the pH sits pretty much between 6.6-6.7 and I can't really get it to go up. I've tried adding a little bit of my hard tap water but don't want to do too much because I don't want the KH and GH to increase. As it stands right now since it's been started there may have been a gallon of tap water to 11 gallons of remineralized RO water (RO water is 6.4 from store, 6.6 out of my RO unit). Right now current params are pH listed in first sentence, KH 0, GH 6. The tank has Fluval Shrimp Substrate (because I didn't want too much buffering on it) and houses CRS, CBS, Tibees and OEBTs. I'd *like* to get that pH at 6.8 but I don't want to start something I might have to fight down the road. Would a small piece or two of crushed coral do the trick or should I even bother when it's such a minimal amount I'd like to have it raised? Tank has been running for about 8 weeks (it had been running for months but I had to do an entire tank breakdown and start over) so I realize over time the pH may go up a bit and I might not need to do anything as it is. Am I picking the wrong battle here and just need to leave things alone? And if crushed coral might be the way to go, would it affect my GH or KH? Or does anyone have other products to suggest or again, just leave well enough alone?

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I think you're going to do more harm to them by messing with the pH trying to get it up and down to 6.8 from 6.7 and I don't see a big benefit in that small of an increase. It's hard to increase pH with a buffer, that being kH.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.