The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never tried raising live food, but I have always wanted to give it a try. I was courious to know if you can keep worms(blood worms, black worms, etc) and let them live in the sand substrate.
Would this work or do they not meet the conditions of tropical fish? Also is there anyway to use a guppy breeder box to keep other types of live food in the same tank?
Thanks

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Blackworms need pretty cool temperatures to thrive and reproduce. It's very possible to have a self-sustaining colony living in the substrate, but the fish will definitely clean them out given the chance

I have a sticky in the Fish Forum on culturing live foods. Check it out!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha lego, your part of what inspired me. I was thinking about trying it out in my shrimp tank first and then if it worked i could try it in the breeder box.
I will deff. check out your thread

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm also interested in learning to culture live food for my fish, and I'll definitely be taking a look at your thread, Lego. I was planning to pick up the book Culturing Live Foods after reading an exerpt in last month's TFH. This seems an appropriate place to ask if anyone knows whether or not it's worth the money for someone completely new to the process? Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, crimsonbull.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I'm also interested in learning to culture live food for my fish, and I'll definitely be taking a look at your thread, Lego. I was planning to pick up the book Culturing Live Foods after reading an exerpt in last month's TFH. This seems an appropriate place to ask if anyone knows whether or not it's worth the money for someone completely new to the process? Hopefully I'm not hijacking your thread, crimsonbull.
Definitely worth it. Most of what I know about culturing live foods came from that book. The author's got tons of info on almost every kind of culture-able food out there.

It's got lots of information, but it's not full of technical and scientific jargon. Great for beginners and experts alike, IMHO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I saw it at the LFS the other day for $30, I think I'll pick it up next time I go. Thanks for letting me know, Lego, although your thread is extremely helpful. Where can starter cultures of the various feeder species be easily obtained?

Ah, never mind, that's what I get for not reading your insightful thread through to the end. I see where to find them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts