The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone,

I know this has been discussed tons of times before, but seems to be tons of conflicting information regarding this topic, even on this forum.

Regarding raising KH, is it safe to use baking soda in a planted tank? I currently have Anubis and java ferns in a 12 gallon Fluval Edge, and seems that my KH is close to being zero. ( the api test turns orange have one drop )

Im also using NilogG GH booster in another tank, which contains Contains Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, would this raise KH?

Thanks for your help

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
No the Gh booster will not raise Kh. Baking soda has been used by many people, but this contains sodium which isnt necessarily good for plants. Looking for potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate would be a better idea.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
No the Gh booster will not raise Kh. Baking soda has been used by many people, but this contains sodium which isnt necessarily good for plants. Looking for potassium carbonate or potassium bicarbonate would be a better idea.
If you are raising the KH by 6 degrees I agree, but if you are raising it by 1 or 2 degrees I doubt it makes any difference. It takes 6 times as much of whatever you add to raise the KH by 6 degrees than it does to raise it by 1 degree.

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
If you are raising the KH by 6 degrees I agree, but if you are raising it by 1 or 2 degrees I doubt it makes any difference. It takes 6 times as much of whatever you add to raise the KH by 6 degrees than it does to raise it by 1 degree.
I concur

1 - 4 of 4 Posts