The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have five Philippine blues and one Altum cross growing out in a 40gal breeder tank. I've never done this before. What should I expect to happen? Will they pair up or will they fight etc.. I notice they pick at the Altum cross and chase it away. I'm wondering if and when I should seperate it.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
They can get a bit territorial during breeding, If they paired off, you can place them in a smaller cycled bare tank with a piece of slate or tile.
You will need a 55 gal for raising the fry for the first couple of weeks and possibly a second as they grow, they can have large clutches of fry at a time.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Sometimes they will even pair up with the wrong sex, but be just as aggressive.
They go through the whole egg laying process.

That being said, if they eat all the eggs or fry or whatever in the beginning, just leave them.
They need a few tries to get it right. It conditions them well anyway.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Congratulations! this will be an amazing and fun experience for you. I have been breeding angels for lots of years....
What I do: once they pair off.

* get them in a tank of their own... I use a 29 tall...just because...it's tall and it is empty and ready to rock.
* add a tall piece of slate. lean against wall at a nice steep angle....near some current but not crazy current
* once she lays make sure the male does his job...let him finish...seriously....
* My current mated pair do not eat their own eggs, but some will thus.....
* remove to a nursery tank...I use a 10...
* add methalene blue to keep bad things from happening to the eggs
* current for oxygen....I dangle and airstone right infront of the eggs...

Wait, wait wait....you will see the eggs develop
soon they will hatch out, with just their tails wiggling and their noses stuck to the slate
once they become free swimming you have about 2-3 days to get food happening....they can live on yolk-sac for a while..

I hatch out brine shrimp...though there are some micro feeds that some folks say work well....I just like hatching brine shrimp

keep them full- I do a 2x a day feeding at least....no more than they can consume or you will foul your water quickly....ie...i'm using a 10 a bigger tank will foul much slower..

Cull as needed
flakes or other food when pinky fingernail size....

I trade mine to the LFS for product...and livestock....

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Before you get fry, you need not only eggs but fertilised eggs.
Then you need to hatch the eggs. You probably want to use RO water and aim for 50 -100ppm TDS for best hatching rate.
Water should be on the acidic side, you can use peat in the filter. Temps quite high, approaching 85F.

Now if you remember that ammonia turns into ammonium which is 200 times less toxic below 7 pH, it should stand to reason, that acidic water is a bit easier on maintenance as you are not so much at risk of ammonia spikes.
You can feed them baby brine shrimp for the first three weeks, and then move to a commercial baby food like Hikari First bites (That s what I use for my medium small fry). If you decide to let the fish raise their own fry, take the parents out at about 2 and a half weeks. If you don't they will try to feed on the parents like baby discus and bite holes.

Use the time to find a wholesaler to take the babies (their can be up to a 1000). Cull any deformed/stunted fish ruthlessly. I culled about 5% of the danio fry in my one tank today as they had deformities and swimming problems. Ironicaly I fed them to my angelfishes and one to my female betta. What a magnificent killer!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking that hopefully I'll get one good pair of the Philippine blues. I'll have a 29gal ready for them. Do I wait for them to spawn before removing? Right now I see some doing some flirting type displays but not sure if it's always the same pair.

What can I do with the rest? Can the males live together peacefully? Like can I place all the males in my dusplay tank and not worry about it? What about the exta females?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wait for them to pair off offer a place to lay eggs once they pair up and they are a male- female as other have wrote I have had two males pair up before and then move them. It may take a month for them to restart. A 29 gallon is good size I have used 20 high as well. Plan on lots of work once they do start laying the more water you can change out in the fry tank the faster they will grow.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I had one pair spawn the next day. Of course, I had another pair decide they weren't that into each other. Oddly enough, they didn't fight, but then it was the male who decided he wasn't interested. I put him with another female and they spawn regularly (but only in a honeymoon suite - she refuses to spawn in a community tank). Sometimes I feel like I'm playing psychologist trying to figure out what works.

One thing you have to watch about fry is they will overeat, and the results ain't pretty. It's far worse when you have just a handful of survivors because you almost have to count the bbs, and sometimes it feels like anything larger than a dixie cup is too big for them to find food.

From reading of experiences of dedicated breeders who have worked with the pb strain, the fry tend to be smaller, and slow growers. They sure are pretty though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.