The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120g planted tank and have noticed one of my amano carraying a large egg pouch. I am guessing any day now. I would like to try to raise them. I dont see much on here. I was thinking about setting up a 10g tank with salt at 1.030. What about light, nutritrion, water changes, filter? Is there a link or site about raising them? Thanks Kyle

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Hey Kyle,

From my experiences and my chats with other people, it's a highly variable process and requires a lot of work. You might want to check with gmmcreedy and see what he thinks about the whole process! ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After spending a considerable amount of time trying to find some information about breeding, the main question I seem to have is "do I have Amano shrimp"? It seems that thee are many types of shrimp that look identical to Amanos and 90% that are sold as is are not. some say Amanos have a purple spot on them, some say that the second line of spots ahould be oval. I dont have a lab and a microscope, nor do i have really small fingers. So I ahve come to the conclusions that there is not an easy way to even identify what type of shrimp I have.
Amano shrimp need saltwater to mature while ghost shrimp do not. Not to mention the other two dozen shrimp that are similar.
For reference I finally found a nice site on raising amanos which actually had some meat to it, even thought its pre 2004, its better than the other 200 I visited. I dont think I will spend 4 months trying to raise a shrimp right now, they are on their own.

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Debby,

Amano Shrimp are not that hard to identify. They are one of the larger Caridina species and have a somewhat unique appearance. There are rumors of shrimp that look like Amano Shrimp but do not need salt water to raise the larva, but I have never seen these shrimp.

Here is a picture of a berried female Caridina multidentata (also known as Caridina japonica) more commonly known as the Amano Shrimp

It is true that there are many shrimp that are sold as Amano Shrimp that are not Amano Shrimp at all. This is not because it is difficult to tell an Amano apart from other shrimp, it is because MOST local fish stores, big chain stores, and many online retailers have no clue what they are selling. They just know it is a fresh water shrimp that does not look like a “ghost shrimp”.

SIDE NOTE

Ghost Shrimp may or may not need salt water to raise their larva to adulthood. The reason behind this is that Ghost Shrimp is a generic term given to a wide verity of shrimp that are of similar size and clear coloration. The most common “ghost shrimp” in the United States is the American Glass Shrimp. This is just one of many Palaemonetes species that has been labeled as a ghost shrimp among many other genus of shrimp. Some Palemonetes require salt water, some do not!

·
Registered
723 Posts
ive tried before without much success, i have a thread out there if you would like to search for it. it should contain a couple links to sites that have some good info.

the shrimp do carry the eggs for quite a while, they will appear a darker green at the beginning, and progressively become lighter colored until translucent with tiny black dots inside. at this point they will likely drop within a few days.
one observation i have made is that water temp seems to effect the length of time that the eggs are carried.

i got mine to hatch out, then i transferred them to full saltwater with a syringe. the next morning all were dead. still not quite sure what went wrong, though i have a few ideas and will try again one day.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have tried several times without success. Will be trying again soon.

First and foremost. I have gotten pretty far. Had a half dozen make it almost to freshwater but lost them suddenly. That was the furthest I got.

This is doable! Just alot of unknown variables to contend with. Best hint I have for you,wWater quality seems to be a real issue for both fresh and salt water.

I will get it one of these days!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts