The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i have two coralife 30 inch fixtures which sit on top of the tank.. i'd like to raise t hem a few inches for more even lighting but my wife can't stand the idea of something hanging, the diy light hanger bars are out of the question too... even ones u buy she still thinks are stupid..anyone have any diy ideas or store bought mounts?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Make her extra mad by using a microphone stand and some cinder blocks. That way she'll realize how ugly the alternatives are. Why exactly will she not let you go the conduit route?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The best option I am aware of (or at least, the easiest) is using LEDs that have a tight optic angle.

You can get some nice PAR30 and PAR38 bulbs with 40 degree optics, and build a pendant that you can suspend them with, as much as 30" from the surface. The higher, the more light spill.

If you have any DIY gumption and ambition, you can basically hang your lights in the top of a Sycamore tree if you use the right angle optic, and reduce overspill.

A 20 degree optic would probably let you put them a good 38-48" up with reduced light spill.

Your pendant will need to be sufficiently long enough to keep the LED from hitting your eyes, so probably need the light recessed into the pendant around 8" or so.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I like the idea of a open top canopy that the lights sit on. The front can be piano hinged to flip up out of the way for feedings, etc.
I may try this myself! Being short means the lights usually shine in my eyes - not this way...
on a side note I am curious...so many posters mention how the spouse/etc. won't let them do this or that. I can't imagine strife over such little unimportant things...

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I like the idea of a open top canopy that the lights sit on. The front can be piano hinged to flip up out of the way for feedings, etc.
I may try this myself! Being short means the lights usually shine in my eyes - not this way...
on a side note I am curious...so many posters mention how the spouse/etc. won't let them do this or that. I can't imagine strife over such little unimportant things...
There's no strife. I say "I want to hang the light about a foot above the tank". She says, "no!" I say, "ok, I can work with that."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.