The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was wondering about Rainbows in a planted tank. I have seen them at the fish store in a large planted tank, but I have not seen any pics here with anyone having them with plants. Are Rainbows plant eaters and should be kept from a planted tank?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
There are a few spectacular tanks here with rainbows. They tend to be larger fish so need a large tank for a decent sized shoal and they don't school and yes some may nibble plants! They were on my short list for the 180 gallon tank but I went with Congo tetras this time. Still want to have some at some point though.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have had Boesmani, Turqouise, Kamaka, Praecox and others that I forget now and they were never a problem with my plants. BUT, they will eat duck weed. Actually, now that I think about it, my sword plants would suffer from the occasional 'hole in the leaf' but I can't remember if that was from the rainbows or some other fish I had at the time. Anyway, it wasn't enough for me to get rid of them. They are awesome fish!

I've had turquoise and bosemani in planted tanks and never had them eat at my plants.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I've had 5 bosemani rainbows in a planted tank and they don't really give my plants too much attention. My tank restricted how many I could house. I had 5 and that was the bare minimum. Even though I had 5, they did shoal (just a bit). I say if you have anything above a 70 gallon, you're good to go! My cousin had a 120 gallon with over 20 rainbows, breath taking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I have a 90 gallon tank and have 6 rainbows in it now. They are my favorite fish. I had some gouramis before but I think they were eating my plants. I will get some more rainbows now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts