The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What rainbowfish would be good for a 36 gallon planted tank?

I've already got 5 otocinclus and 10 celestial pearl danio in the tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boesemani are good but they eat like there is no tomorrow and other fish have to be smart otherwise the boesemani get the majority of the food.
Those are pretty fish. How accurate is Aqadvisor? If I have 5 otocinclus, 10 CPD, and 5 boeseman's rainbowfish, it says it's 108% overstocked. Is this accurate? I do have a Fluval 407 on my 36 gallon, so filtration isn't an issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Those are pretty fish. How accurate is Aqadvisor? If I have 5 otocinclus, 10 CPD, and 5 boeseman's rainbowfish, it says it's 108% overstocked. Is this accurate? I do have a Fluval 407 on my 36 gallon, so filtration isn't an issue.
I have never heard of that website.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
404 Posts
Threadfin Rainbows are cool too. They have smaller throats than you'd think so they should eat the same size stuff as the CPDs when grown. Plus they don't chow down super hard again because they have to eat smaller stuff so it's a little easier to get all the fish some food.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never heard of that website.
It's a website where you plug in your aquarium dimensions and filtration. Then it displays fish compatible with your size tank and you can choose which ones you want as well as the quantity. It'll tell you whether the fish are compatible with one another and what percentage of stocked you are as well as recommended water change percentage a week. It's pretty neat, though may be a bit outdated

·
Registered
360 Posts
No,Boesemani are NOT good for that small a tank. Pass on M.trifasciatus also- both can hit a near 6" and become heavy bodied fish. They morph as they grow from the slender fish you see for sale. I would include M. lacustris and the New Guinea Red Rainbows as needing 70 gallons and up.
Dwarf Rainbows are fine,M.parva is also not a large Rainbow and they are getting more and more common. You need to look up Gary Lange on youtube and listen to his advice on various rainbows for smaller tanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No,Boesemani are NOT good for that small a tank. Pass on M.trifasciatus also- both can hit a near 6" and become heavy bodied fish. They morph as they grow from the slender fish you see for sale. I would include M. lacustris and the New Guinea Red Rainbows as needing 70 gallons and up.
Dwarf Rainbows are fine,M.parva is also not a large Rainbow and they are getting more and more common. You need to look up Gary Lange on youtube and listen to his advice on various rainbows for smaller tanks.
Yeah I’d have to agree. Reading up on Boesmani and they sound like they need 4 feet of tank at least to swim around and they need groups of 6+. Beautiful fish but I’ll have to pass on it :(
I was looking at those dwarf neon rainbows. I’ll have to see any LFS carry them in Denver. I’ll check Gary out!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is M. Parva too big for a 36 gallon? It shows that they get to 4.5" on Sunset Dwarf Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia parva)
Then the boesmani get to 5" it says. Seems like Parva is still too big for my aquarium, might just need to go with the dwarf neons and call it a day

·
Registered
360 Posts
That would be best. Dwarfs are also more easy to find. My parva don't seem like they are going to reach Bosey size,but they are bigger than dwarfs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Melanotaenia pygmaea & M. sexlineata stay small but aren't easy to find.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Cooroios post is good for humanity and fishness,because I think far too many Rainbows are sold into aquariums too small because the young Rainbows have that look of not going to grow much more and really the internet doesn't help with endless photos of small Rainbowfish.
Even I wish that instead of a 8' long tank with the Boseys,I wish I had a 8' ROUND aquarium for them. They really need room to roam,a strong pump to give them exercise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cooroios post is good for humanity and fishness,because I think far too many Rainbows are sold into aquariums too small because the young Rainbows have that look of not going to grow much more and really the internet doesn't help with endless photos of small Rainbowfish.
Even I wish that instead of a 8' long tank with the Boseys,I wish I had a 8' ROUND aquarium for them. They really need room to roam,a strong pump to give them exercise.
I ended up getting 6 neon dwarf rainbowfish! I got 2 males and 4 females because I heard it's best to keep it as a 1:2 male to female ratio. One male seems to be leading the school of females while the other male kinda just chills around, assuming he's not the dominant male lol. Their colors are beautiful, shimmering in the light and they're so full of energy, swimming all over the place and not hiding in the plants. It's very entertaining watching them go crazy when I feed them and they've even brought my celestial pearl danios out of hiding. I guess using them as a dither fish did work! I've even caught some of the CPD swimming in the rainbow school instead of just hiding among the plants. I can't wait for the rainbowfish to continue to mature and have more of their color come in!

I do have one question, what would you recommend I feed them? I'm just feeding them Fluval Bug Bites - Tropical for small fish for now. Is this sufficient or should I switch to something like Hikari micro wafers? I know I've heard people recommend supplementing with frozen blood worms...we'll see how my fiancée likes having frozen worms kept in our freezer with our frozen foods haha. Is freeze dried blood worms or shrimp a good alternative to frozen ones?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Tetramin flake foods and the enhanced flake foods are good. Frozen bloodworms or tubifex and or brine shrimp are great foods..the more color in the food,the more color the fish gets. I notice Beef heart also brings out colors in my fish. Beef heart being red..plus i do gelentanize it. Recipes for that all over the internet. A great super inexpensive food for all freshwater fish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts