The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm looking to add a few "dither" fish to my 90g setup. This will probably occur in a couple weeks or so, but I want to plan it now. I don't want anything too aggressive, too large or too delicate. I originally was thinking Discus or Angelfish, but decided that both might become too aggressive. I also know that Discus are delicate and require warmer water, although I've never actually kept 'em.
What about rainbows? I think that Bosemani Rainbows and those really red-looking ones would look good in there. I've also heard that they can get aggressive, but what do you think?

Current fauna:
harlequin rasbora - 22
cardinal tetra - 8
otocinclus - 15
Corydoras schwartzi - 3
Corydoras aeneus (albino/bronze cory) - 3

I haven't tested the water params for weeks, but I believe the ph is ~ 6.2-6.4. Kh/GH is around 3. Temp = 74 or so.
Or, should I opt for giant danios, congo tetras, or nothing? Maybe add to existing schools and that's it?
The idea is to get the fish I have to school more. The harlequins school pretty well, but its usually when I'm near the tank and/or doing a wc. the cardinals loosely hang out together, but they don't really school (I kind of expected that though).

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Rainbow males are aggressive.

if you want really non-agressive dithers, try danios, cherry barbs or like you said, add more tetras or rasboras.

You might want to add some fish with personality to a tank... Angels are a good choice.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ryan, typically your Rasboras and Tetras are considerd the dither fish with Discus/Angels/other big-display-fish being the focus.

When I set up my 120 I skipped the 'display' fish and went with 100+ Espei Rasboras instead. That big mass of color is impressive in itself. :)

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that rainbows would really help accentuate the plants with the beautiful red, blue, orange, etc colors. But I don't want anything that will be aggressive. Would they be less aggressive if I added, say, 5 or 6 instead of just a couple? 1 male + rest female? Or all female? The males are probably more colorful though.
Scalares are another option, but I don't really know the difference between them and angelfish, other than they don't get quite as large.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I made the mistake of reversing that 1 male to 3 female rule of thumb because I wanted more of the male rainbow color. While they are beautiful, they do have a tendency to bully each other and my Blue Ram. I get tired of them constantly chasing each other out of every area in the tank. I would definitely go with something less aggressive if I were to start over again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My experience with Rainbows has been that as long as you have a group of at least 6, with more females than males, then there is not that much aggression. There will be a lot of chasing and displaying, but no harm will be done. Boesemanis would be a better choice than the Irian Red Rainbow, as melanotaenia species seem to be a little bit better behaved than glossolepsis species.

Rainbows would love it in a planted tank that size, and the colors that they display once they are settled in are amazing. If you do decide to get rainbows, its worth spending the money to get pure strains. Check out the seller Rarefishatlax on Aquabid. All of his rainbows come from Kent Webster, one of the top rainbow breeders in the US. They are extremely high quality.

Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My experience with Rainbows has been that as long as you have a group of at least 6, with more females than males, then there is not that much aggression. There will be a lot of chasing and displaying, but no harm will be done. Boesemanis would be a better choice than the Irian Red Rainbow, as melanotaenia species seem to be a little bit better behaved than glossolepsis species.

Rainbows would love it in a planted tank that size, and the colors that they display once they are settled in are amazing.
Agree with all of the above.

Many people make the mistake of thinking rainbows will be happy in 3ft tanks, but like the swimming space and tend to get a bit frustrated. Boesemani's are a pretty good choice. Praecox (neon rainbowfish) would also go well. But as said before, get at least 6 (another mistake people often make).

·
Registered
888 Posts
if you want really non-agressive dithers, try danios, cherry barbs or like you said, add more tetras or rasboras.
Cherry barbs are not shoalers.:smile:
Maybe add to existing schools and that's it?
Get more cardinals if you like.:smile: I actually like a large shoal of cardinals.:proud:
The idea is to get the fish I have to school more. The harlequins school pretty well, but its usually when I'm near the tank and/or doing a wc. the cardinals loosely hang out together, but they don't really school (I kind of expected that though).
Cardinals don't really shoal tightly unless they see any of their tankmates which they'll consider as threats. Rummies however will.:smile:

No one has mentioned the threadfin rainbows(Iriatherina werneri).:hihi: I prefer them along with Melanotaenia praecox although don't expect them to shoal all the time.:smile: I had them last year and 'Boy!' are they amazing at showing off their dorsal fins.:eek5: Males have more black filaments than females.:smile:

Ringram, I recommend threadfins for your tank.:proud: None of the fish you listed will nip their fins.:smile:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I have 5 males and 1 female Boesemani and three male Turquois Rainbows. The only aggressive thing they do is to flash each other - like I'm flashier than you. And it rotates around. Each large male gets his day as ALPHA male at least once a week. They are completely entertaining, active fish and very hardy. They get along fine with all my other fish - absolutely fine. Other inhabitants are 11 Black Neons, a few Amano shrimp, 6 or 7 Neon tetras, 3 Hillstream Loaches (reticulated var.) a couple Kuhuli and two medium/large Clown loaches and four Corys.

I keep it open top and have never had a jumper in two years. Maybe they jump into the Tek.:icon_wink. I did loose a big fat male who got wedged into a hole in some bogwood once. That was a drag trying to squeeze him back out.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've kept Bosemani, Celebes, and Dwarf Neons. But with an open top tank I lost nearly all to jumping over the course of a year. Although a couple of the Neons developed what looked to be droopsy.

Anyway, I have a lone Bosemani now. A few days ago I heard a thump and a splash in the tank. When I walked over to take a look I saw the Bosemani dazed and swimming upside down. I thought it was a goner. But the next day it was fine. It must've taken a leap and hit the light or the tank's center brace. :icon_lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts