The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found this in the LFS and couldn't ID it so I brought it home. It was the only one of it's kind there and still the only one of it's kind in my tank, though he's in with a school of other similar-size rainbows.

I would guess a lacustris because my LFS often has them. But it doesn't really look like any lacustris I've seen, but it DOES come really close to the description and pics of Melanotaenia monticola from the "Home of the Rainbowfish" website:

"elanotaenia monticola males generally have a lilac blue to greenish coloured wash over the body, fading to silvery white on the chest and abdomen. Scales are edged with a coppery gold colouration. They have a very prominent black mid-lateral stripe extending from the eye to the caudal fin base."

He looks silver, almost white most of the time, but in pictures you can see the blue. He flashes bright on the forehead, looks white to the naked eye. Haven't gotten a picture of that yet.

BELOW: 2 pics of my unknown fish (1 with flash, 1 without).

Anybody know for sure?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An Answer

I got a definitive answer on rainbofish.info forum. It's a Melanotaenia kamaka and I feel very lucky to have found it. The guy who posted has bred them and the pictures are an exact match except for the bigger forehead which will probably come with age.

Can't believe how quick it was to get an answer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah, it's a Kamaka. My LFS just got some in this week. They're stunning to say the least!
Look like Jack Frost himself painted them...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well I blew that one, may have been the wine? Kamaka crossed my mind but i haven't heard of them being available in shops much. I have 6 juvenile kamaka that i bought from one of the guys in the link luca provided. lovely fish and they stay small. Good luck getting more!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey I did the same thing. I looked at pictures on line and thought of kamana but decided it couldn't be because I'd never seen one in a store. I wonder if they can get more. ONly problem is they charge $15 for any rainbowfish. Not so bad for one rare one, but I usually want a few of each species. I'll have to look around online for who might have more of these to sell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts