The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my rainbow for about a week now and not once has he come to the surface to eat with the rest of my goruamis but he seems to be doing fine, just swimming happily on the bottom through all of my plants. Is it safe to assume that he's eating whatever falls to the bottom seeing as he is a bottom swimmer?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes. Rainbow sharks are scavengers and stick almost strictly to the bottom. I had a red-tailed shark years ago and he absolutely loved shrimp pellets. Made his colors absolutely pop, too. He had a jet black body with a bright red tail. Cool fish.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Rainbow sharks are scavengers and stick almost strictly to the bottom. I had a red-tailed shark years ago and he absolutely loved shrimp pellets. Made his colors absolutely pop, too. He had a jet black body with a bright red tail. Cool fish.
Thanks, i had a feeling this was the case bit it certainly makes me feel better having a seasoned vet confirm it.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ours has never once come to the surface. He'll eat some of the smaller pieces if they go past him, but otherwise he just scavenges the bottom of the tank, plant leaves, etc. He does like the shrimp pellets, though his absolute favorite are the Hikari Algae based foods (the wafers and the shrimp food too).

·
Registered
355 Posts
You can tell a lot about a fish by its mouth. In the case of a shark, it's down turned mouth tells you that it is a bottom feeder and rarely will make its way past the middle of the water column. Make sure you feed it sinking food such as wafers and pellets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts