The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a little about this in my thread about dead Neons-but figured I would make a seperate thread about him.

I have a Rainbow Shark that I purchased with no fish knowledge--he was originally in a 10 gallon tank but I purchased a 29g for him. He is in there with 5 Julii Corydoras and an ever decreasing number of Neon Tetras.

He chases the Neons at times. He likes to scatter their school by charging right into the middle of it--I think I can hear him laugh when he does it-lol. Its kinda cool watching him do it, but I think it may be what is leading to my issues with dead Neons. Soon I will have no remaining Neon Tetras.

Any suggestions as to what to do with him? I have two ten gallon tanks, one with plants only and one with a Betta and 4 Peppered Cory. I have plans to purchase a 30 gallon tank very soon and it will be planted. My original plans were to use one 10 gallon as a hospital tank and have the other three tanks ( 10, 29, 30 ) as planted tanks with fishies.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I currently keep my Rainbow Shark with Tiger Barbs, Cherry Barbs, a couple of old Harlequins left over from a long ago shoal, and ottos.
In the past I have kept him with Serpae Tetras and Pim Pictus cats with no problems

I'm not really good with tank sizes so maybe someone else will chime in here - but is a 30g big enough for a full-grown RS? Mine's quite a size and he does charge around full-pelt at times in my 80g. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable putting him in my 30g even with suitable tankmates. Maybe someone else will say I'm wrong though : )

edit to add - I got mine when I knew nothing about them either. Actually I got 2 (cringe) and had to rehome one, now I have to consider him when thinking of adding any fish to my 80g! But he's beautiful so I don't mind so much

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree--I love mine, he is an awesome looking fish. It would be cool to have a tank large enough to have a few in it.

For now I guess I have to deal with picking good tankmates for him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.