The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be more beneficial to refill your tank with rainwater when available? Considering it is high in nitrogen and other natural nutrients, would this be a simpler way to introduce natural nutrients?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Upside is not worth the downside to me. It can save some water and it might be good water. But then it can be water that varies quite a bit. Depends on where the wind is bringing the rain in from and what is in that part of the air around you. Maybe a coal fired power plant one day and not the next. Too much for me to try to figure. I like it steady.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You may find it is acidic due to pollution, though it wouldn't have chlorine, and it should be very soft water.
Also it does not contain any more nitrogen than tap water would. Water of any source seeks equilibrium with the air in contact with it so if there were additional nitrogen molecules (or O2, or CO2, or any other gas) in it it would out gas the extra and if it was deficient it would in gas what it was missing.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I used to use a bit of rainwater to cut my fairly hard tapwater to soften it a bit for Apistogramma species.
I filtered it through carbon, and paint gun paper filter before using it.
Agree with above,there should not be any more nitrogen in rainwater than tapwater unless the water is picking up dead insect's,bird crap,or other organic's from guttering or tub where rainwater is stored.
I once left the lid off the tub that caught the rainwater from my guttering and found a dead squirrel in the tub.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.