The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to start a 29 Biocube low tech tank. I have a Radion Gen 1/ wide angle lense for saltwater that I saved in case I needed it. I would like to add the Radion for a basic green planted tank. My question is, will the led spectrum that the Radion for saltwater produces be sufficient for planted aquariums? Below is the leds that are on the Gen 1.

• 8x Cree XP-G Cool White LEDs run at 5w each (5-8300k??)
• 8x Cree XP-E Blue LEDs run at 3w each (468nm)
• 10x Cree XP-E Royal Blue LEDs run at 3w each (442nm)
• 4x Cree XP-E Green LEDs run at 3w each (520nm)
• 4x Osram Oslon SSL Hyper Red LEDs run at 3w each (660nm)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Then gen 2 radion has a freshwater planted setting. Not sure on the gen 1. But I know I on accidentally left it on freshwater setting at one point when i was playing with it and had more algae growing then I could identify lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Since Radions have a great deal of control built in to them, you should be able to use your fixture. Set it up so it's producing a modest amount of light, and cut the blue back a bit so the overall light looks a bit warmer in color. If your having algae issues you may want to cut back on the red LEDs.

You should be just fine, but you may need to fine tune the colors a bit. Also, keep in mind that what we consider "high light" in planted tanks would be considered low light in a SW reef system. Don't run the Radion anywhere close to it's full output.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason I was thinking about not backing off the red Chanel is the Finnex uses this spectrum. Maybe its the white that grows more of the algea
(72) 7000k + (40) 660nm RED + (8) Blue Moonlights

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.