The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, I'm trying to set up my fish room during the winter time. I need a rack system holding my 10G and 5.5G tanks, 6 of them. I found this at local Sam's Club:

It's rated for 600lbs per shelf. Considering filled 10G tank weighs around 120lbs, I think weight is not a problem. My questions are,

If I put 2 10G tanks side-by-side on one shelf, will the shelf sag much?

Can I put them directly on the shelf or I have to put down some liner first?

If liner is required, what type will work the best? Plywood? Laminate Floor pieces? Carpet?

Thanks a lot! :help:

·
Registered
81 Posts
me parents use these to hold extra food for the house. They are reliable but, heavy 100lbs. As for the tanks directly on the shelve I would put, a piece of plywood or something along that line

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
I'd definitely not use the wheels.

And put something on the shelves that won't absorb water (definitely not carpet!) I think resting on the wiring would probably be OK for the tanks, since none of them are big, but I'd want something lining the shelves to keep water from being able to splash from tank to tank during tank maintenance (and possibly fish, too LOL)

It looks like it should work to me.

If you get it, let us know how it works out, though, b/c I hope for a fish room myself some day and it would be good info to know! :proud:

·
Registered
305 Posts
i have several of these, take the wheels off they fail but the shelf is quite sturdy. if you put two tanks on the shelf that would only be about 1/3 of the load capacity and since a 10G has a large footprint i would think that the shelf would not sag. especially if you place each tank towards the sides and not towards the center.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hee hee, the wheels... rolling aquarium rack, what a great idea!:hihi:

just kidding. I'm definitely remove the wheels. And, I'll only use 5 shelves to make each shelf has about 17" space over it, so that I'll have some room to work with the tank, lighting, filtration, etc. I'm planning on putting some laminate floor pieces under the tanks. They are 48" long, waterproof, and pretty easy to work with. I'll go get the shelving this week. I'll keep you guys posted.

I'd definitely not use the wheels.

And put something on the shelves that won't absorb water (definitely not carpet!) I think resting on the wiring would probably be OK for the tanks, since none of them are big, but I'd want something lining the shelves to keep water from being able to splash from tank to tank during tank maintenance (and possibly fish, too LOL)

It looks like it should work to me.

If you get it, let us know how it works out, though, b/c I hope for a fish room myself some day and it would be good info to know! :proud:

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hee hee, the wheels... rolling aquarium rack, what a great idea!:hihi:
just kidding. I'm definitely remove the wheels. And, I'll only use 5 shelves to make each shelf has about 17" space over it, so that I'll have some room to work with the tank, lighting, filtration, etc. I'm planning on putting some laminate floor pieces under the tanks. They are 48" long, waterproof, and pretty easy to work with. I'll go get the shelving this week. I'll keep you guys posted.
Please let us know how this works. I was looking at that exact rack for three 40L s. I figured I have to use wood under the tanks to even the weight load, but floor laminate would be more attractive with less work.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
i have bin in quite a few profesional kitchens that use them and i have seen them holding serveral hundreds of pounds (pots and pans and spices) they are quite sturdy. just dont like the wheels, but i think they lock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad you're leaving the wheels off those shelves. Even though the unit is rated for 600 pounds per shelf, the wheels are only rated for about 500 pounds total. It's in the fine print, of course. I put together about four of those bad boys for the culinary arts program at the vocational high school where I work. The instructor used one of those units, with wheels, to hold dishes, and the casters bent pretty badly.

I used a much smaller version of that shelf, a 3-shelf unit rated to hold 150 pounds per shelf, as a stand for a 10 gallon tank. It was ten bucks cheaper than buying a pre-fab particle board shelf. I just cut a leftover piece of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the top shelf and wrapped it in contact paper. I got a pretty basket for the second shelf to hold supplies, and store all my magazines on the bottom shelf. Since my floor is not level, those levelling legs were a real plus.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
As someone who has worked extensively with racks like this one, they are not all created equal. There is a wide range of quality and ratings on similar rack systems. Proper installation of the stop on the corner supports is critical.

I think it would be fine, but I would recommend testing for a few days with a weight similar to the tanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.