The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I buy a betta.

Then you buy a betta.

Then I find out that you never change his water.

:icon_eek:

THEN I find out you dont know about "New Tank Syndrome".

Then I happen to walk into your house to see your new fish. Dead.

Well....maybe it's because you threw water in there without water conditioner and bought them the same day you bought the tank.

So, heres the run down:

1 betta. In a .5 gallon bowl. UNCONDITIONED WATER.
16-- Oh yes, 16 black skirts, dead, in a 6 gallon. Unconditioned, no filter, a plant, and a turtle. No places to hide.

My neighbor irks me, yes they do. I want to save their betta so much, but there is no tank, and my mom wont let me.

Just...GRAH.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont worry, I did so. All the mother did was shrug her shoulders and tell me "it's just fish". I dont know how she could say all too much to it though, she spent her money on it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Dont worry, I did so. All the mother did was shrug her shoulders and tell me "it's just fish". I dont know how she could say all too much to it though, she spent her money on it.
Maybe make a comparison to a giant owning a human and keeping it in a 6'x6' box with no toilet, and the giant saying "It's just a human"? Lol that's the only thing I can think of now:icon_roll

Hey, maybe you can buy them a real tank and filter and heater for a Christmas present:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe make a comparison to a giant owning a human and keeping it in a 6'x6' box with no toilet, and the giant saying "It's just a human"? Lol that's the only thing I can think of now:icon_roll

Hey, maybe you can buy them a real tank and filter and heater for a Christmas present:)

.....that actually sounds like an awesome idea!

I talked to them today, but they wouldn't agree to changing the water in their house....so I asked them if I could take him over to my house and they agreed. That betta must be a fighter, they've had him for two months with un-conditioned and unchanged water.

I changed his water at my place and I hope I didn't stress him too much on the walk over(bowl was obviously small enough to carry, over a hundred yards from their front door to mine). Him and my own betta Jester had a little flare-fest for a while, and I brought over some of my own fake plants, and some gravel. Their kids had fun arranging the plants, but the bowl wasn't big enough for the other cave I had. :(

But, I think he's alot happier now. I know their daughter is-- after I told her about changing needs I'm sure she was worried about it. The parents do like the looks of more plants in there though-- maybe I should introduce them to live plants?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I work at a pet store, and at least once a week I'll have some customer come in and want a common pleco or oscar for their 10g tank. When I try to explain that it won't work long term, I get the response "it's okay, the fish will probably be dead in two weeks anyway". I really don't understand why people waste their money like that.

I've also been laughed at when I told someone that a common pleco could live for 15 years. She was like "I've never had one live more than a couple months. You have no idea what you're talking about".

Anyway, point is, you're not the only one who doesn't understand people ;). There are some people that just don't care or don't want to learn. IME, the best thing you can do is to show them by example. After a couple months under your care, hopefully that betta will be fat and healthy, then you can show them just how nice fish can look when given the proper care.

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
This is the fate of the vast majority of all aquarium fish. For each one that responsible aquarists treat well, hundreds are killed by their owners, culled by breeders, or die en route to the LSF.

Sometimes I wonder if the knowledge and pleasure a few get out of the hobby is worth all this...

·
Registered
806 Posts
All the cats and dogs people mistreat, abandon, torture, kill because they don't want them ( drowning kittens, etc.)...and they're the "cute" pets, so imagine how bad fish get it.

I overheard a lady at a lfs talking to another customer about how she was going to come back and get some different fish, but she had to wait for the ones she had to "die out" first. I asked her what she meant. Apparently she wanted new fish so had quit feeding the tank full she had so they would die and she could get new fish.

I talked to her a minute, talked to the store owner a minute, and worked out a deal where she could get store credit for the fish she already had if she brought them in and traded for the new fish. She thought that was a good idea, and it obviously hadn't occured to her.

You can't make people give a crap about fish. You can only do what you can when you can.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So, I buy a betta.
Then you buy a betta.
All the mother did was shrug her shoulders and tell me "it's just fish".
She sees fish as a accessory not a responsibility, much like those people who get dogs because someone else got one. I wonder if thats why she got a kid :icon_eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.